Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Before I start, I haven't delved very far into this issue. But I thought I'd ask before and be a bit better prepared:

Changed timing belt after previous owner had it replaced and soon started getting CAT fails. I bought it an set about replacing the timing belt parts. I replaced the belt and both bearing sets. Got it back in proper time and the CAT fails went away, as I found it to be one tooth off.

I have cleared the P0016 several times BUT the odd thing I find is that if it has been running and turned off/cleared, it will not come back until the next cold start(?). Several times and it does this with great consistency.

I pulled the upper cover today and the belt marks are exactly right. But the adjuster side of the belt "seems" a bit looser than on my Elantra.

Can the belt not being tight enough produce this error code? And how exactly do you know if it's too loose. THe replacement methods seems mostly clear on how to tension the belt.

Best, John

·
Registered
882 Posts
The timing belt is misaligned. If one of sprockets jump 1 tooth, you will get seriously starting problem, engine runs roughly with p0016/p0018 codes

·
Registered
168 Posts
How many miles on the car and how many since you changed the belt? P0016 is triggered when the ECM detects a variation in the alignment of the timing signals it receives from the cam and crank sensors (i.e. where it thinks the timing is for each)--the service manual says the difference has to be greater than 15 degrees to trigger that code. If the timing belt was misaligned then it could trigger that code, but if you verified the physical timing marks on the belt assembly and they're dead on then the timing should be fine. Also, if the timing was off (even by a tooth) I would think the car would be running really rough as the previous poster stated, possibly even misfiring. Thus, I'd lean in the direction of a faulty crankshaft and/or camshaft position sensor (or wiring problem related to each) since the ECM relies on the signals of those sensors in determining whether or not to trigger that code.

On the "loose" feeling of the belt--it could just be your perception. The tension is automatically set by the spring on the tensioner assembly so it's probably fine. Most people reuse those springs without any problems, but if you suspect the spring is not applying the appropriate tension then you can pick up a new one at a Hyundai dealership for something like $3.

Good luck and let us know how it turns out.

·
Registered
8,156 Posts
There should be 0 slack on the right side of the belt between the crank and cam.

I had to replace a spring once but it had popped out and got bent. Once the tension is locked down the spring doesn't do anything.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok, I'll check/replace the Cam Pos Sensor, as the connector crumbled when I went to check the connection. I replaced the Crank Sensor already as it was my first thought of what was wrong.
The timing belt has about 200 miles on it. As mentioned in post, had some CAT faults that were caused by the belt being out of time as it had slipped a tooth.
Cam Sensor tomorrow!

Will report findings to the forum

John

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I changed the cam position sensor yesterday and thus far the light hasn't come one.

I replaced a leaking valve cover gasket this morning and now curious to which way doe the cam chain tensioner push? Mine is pushing up on the chain and thought it would've been pushing down on the loose side??

Thanks to all for the help getting this figured out!

John

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
OK, for an update: Ran very well for a couple of days. Now posting a P0012 for over-retard on the cam.

I will guess this is better. I checked the operation of the OCV and it opens/closes as it should, though I have not checked the impedance. The oil screen is clean and reinstalled. Oil is fresh 5w20 with Hyundai filter.

Gonna do some Sea-Foam adding and drive a couple of days. Maybe just some junk in there... :grin2:

Ideas?

·
Registered
882 Posts
get an OEM timing belt, forget the old timing marks, follow the hyundai repair manual to change the timing belt again. Just search hyundai x.xL engine timing and you should find some. Count the teeth from both the belt and sprockets, make sure that everything is exactly the same. You may need a new tensioner or spring

·
Premium Member
875 Posts
I changed the cam position sensor yesterday and thus far the light hasn't come one.

I replaced a leaking valve cover gasket this morning and now curious to which way doe the cam chain tensioner push? Mine is pushing up on the chain and thought it would've been pushing down on the loose side??

Thanks to all for the help getting this figured out!

John
Timing belt/Camshaft Timing Chain Auto Tensioner info attached.

Attachments

·
Registered
168 Posts
Well, the new code is potentially a clue. The common thread between the original P0016 code you were getting and the new P0012 code is the CVVT system (OCV and cam phaser). I don't think the CVVT is typically a problem unless the engine is poorly maintained (e.g. sludge buildup due to long intervals between oil changes etc.). You inspected the OCV and it appears to be functioning properly? Hopefully, the engine flush or whatever you're doing helps if there's a clog causing the CVVT assembly to malfunction. You've already thrown a cam and crank sensor at it (...fortunately, not expensive parts for this car). You stated earlier that the cam sensor connector "crumbled" when you checked it. Have you checked the wiring to the other sensors? You just want to be sure it's not a wiring problem causing a poor connection etc. before throwing any more parts at it. Least likely (I would think) is a problem with the ECM itself.

Good luck! Keep us posted.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Poured in some Seafoam to give it a try to get the P0012 to go away. Drove it about 200 miles and changes with OEM Hyundai filter and Castrol full synthetic 5-20.

Not much change as it keeps popping back up. May go 200 miles and not come on, then trip at a stop light? I did it today on a 150 mile one way trip. Going along at about 65 mph and it tripped.

Going to try to take the valve cover off and verify the phaser and cam chain appear to be OK.

Any other thoughts?

·
Registered
168 Posts
How does the motor run while you're driving? That is, do you notice anything that would tell you there's something wrong aside from the MIL turning on?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
No, it seems to run about like it always has. Not real sure what's going on with this code.

I have ordered a new OEM ocv and plan to install it Saturday. Along with an oil change and filter. (again)

Stumped!

John

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Quick update

I replaced the oil control valve, cleaned the screen for the VVT passage, & changed oil and filter. Same code kept showing up.

But, I have noted that every time it has been showing up only while the engine is cold. Like when I drive out of garage and gas it going to enter traffic. Gas it pretty hard, hear engine bogs a bit. BAM the light shows up. I then pull over and clear it, drive the 38 miles to work with no light.

Going to look at the VVT and chain area tmrw, if I get a moment.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Update:
verified the cam chain was correct. It is.

Course I dropped the wire that makes the Cam Sensor stay in place underneath the cam phaser. Took out the cam chain tensioner to finally get it out. removed the bottom cover to verify the timing belt is correct too. Everything looks good.

I took it for a drive and never saw the P0016 to show up. I am wanting to cold start it in the morning.

All that said, I did get a P0172. I will also check the vacuum lines tmrw and hope I missed one while I had the valve cover off.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Saturday update:
Installed a new OEM timing belt, tensioner and idler.
Verified the timing is exactly right.
Past stuff- Replaced OCV, cam sensor, crank sensor. Another oil change with synthetic and OEM filter. Have also verified the cam timings are correct too. (both it used so routine maintenance is unknown but cam valleys look mostly clean.)

Runs good with around 32 mpg in city condition and the AC full blast.

Still getting the P0016, daily.

I am at this point thinking the CVVT phasor is having some issues. And I think it is about the only thing left. I watch the timing as a graph and looks to be working well.

Help?

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
Saturday update:
Installed a new OEM timing belt, tensioner and idler.
Verified the timing is exactly right.
Past stuff- Replaced OCV, cam sensor, crank sensor. Another oil change with synthetic and OEM filter. Have also verified the cam timings are correct too. (both it used so routine maintenance is unknown but cam valleys look mostly clean.)

Runs good with around 32 mpg in city condition and the AC full blast.

Still getting the P0016, daily.

I am at this point thinking the CVVT phasor is having some issues. And I think it is about the only thing left. I watch the timing as a graph and looks to be working well.

Help?
Could be CVT tensioner or the filter that I believe is connected to cvt system that is oil pressure type sensor. I don't have manual with me but know there's a screen filter inside a sensor unit that controls oil to cvt for timing control by computer. That's a lot of work on your car. Must be frustrating still have the codes. Hope this info helps.

·
Registered
6 Posts
May be unrelated. I just finished dealing with OCV issues (discussed in another thread) and even though OCV tested good on the bench, my P0012 code went away after replacing the OCV.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Yeah, I going to have to try that I guess.

Tinkered and tinkered, no success. About the only thing I think, is it always does it on startup. Seems like every time. Installed a OEM belt and tensioners, cleaned OCV valve, new cam & crank position sensor. Still showing up. Ugh

Any ideas???

1 - 20 of 45 Posts