Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I haven't run from full to empty yet. Just wondering if it's because the cost of the tank is about $45 to fill, maybe that's why it's going down fast because it doesn't hold a lot? Anyways. I made it 203km and that put me from full to half, that seems a bit extreme, any other opinions? This is very light footed and on a highway going 90-100km/h the whole time. BTW gas is $1.31/L

·
Premium Member
2,208 Posts
I think Fuelly has a button that'll display metric instead of US numbers. I have an '07 Accent GS (3-door, hatchback) and my average mileage is in the sig pic below.

·
Registered
8,620 Posts
On my 2008 5 sp manual I get from 36-42 mpg depending on the time of year and roads I'm driving on. 38 is a pretty consistant average for me.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Haven't been super strict about recording all the fill-ups, but I think the GF's Automatic averages about 28mpg. Which would be 12KPL. But she drives it with a pretty heavy foot and the OverDrive off in order to make the shift points lower for getting up the hills in our area easier.

350 Posts
Yeah watch it through a few tanks. 203km out of "half an Accent tank" (not a very standardized measurement) actually sounds pretty close to what it should be- certainly nothing to panic over.

You'll have a useful number as soon as you do the second fill-up. It will be a solid average after 5 fill-ups.

You can take gas saving measures before you even go that far. Make sure you don't have any brakes or bearings dragging, verify good tire pressure. Make sure the check-engine-light works. If it's an auto, check the overdrive as DiscoBubba mentions.

·
Registered
9 Posts
On my 2008 5 sp manual I get from 36-42 mpg depending on the time of year and roads I'm driving on. 38 is a pretty consistant average for me.
I suppose when I was averaging 38 mpg logic suggests I was hitting 42 at times and lower at others, but I haven't seen close to 38 since the cold weather hit.

Actually I think where this car does the best (I have a GS base model with a 5 speed) is on the secondary roads where one can have it in 5th gear with no problems when driving 40-50 mph. In that gear and at those speeds the RPMs are down in a low to normal range for other cars.

I do a good chunk of my commute on such roads with RPMs between 2,000 and 3,000 - whereas if I were on the highway more I'd certainly be covering more miles quicker but at 65mph plus we're talking 3500-4000 RPMs - so I think I actually get better MPG on my commute than those who typically look for the best MPG on the highway.

While I still feel these small engines could have/should have been geared differently (or a 6th added) I don't kid myself about where they made concessions to keep the price on the car low (a very small gas tank being another concession)

The upside of having a 5th gear that can kick in at relatively slow speeds is that I seldom have to downshift when going up a hill. 5th gear covers such a wide range that it's got plenty of torque to work it's way up the steepest hills on my backroad drives.

·
Registered
8,620 Posts
Most of my driving is on secondary roads at 40-50 mph. My best mileage is in the spring usually or summer with no AC.

On the highway doing 75 and AC blowing I get the worst around 36mpg. Last tank was 38 mpg.

My winter tires are taller than my summer tires and they are taller than the stock 14"s. All the mileage numbers are corrected for the tire deviation.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts