Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys

I've searched the forum and have not found anything on the issue I am having. If someone does know of this issue previously being resolved, I'm sorry about re-asking it :-(.

My 2007 Accent will not start. It doesn't turn over. All it does is beep when I turn the key. It is a long high pitched beep, followed by three sets of two shorter beeps. The engine doesn't turn over at all. The dome light works, as does the radio and dash lights, so I don't think the battery is dead.

I'm wondering if its a starter problem, but the beeping must be some kind of error message, right? Any help would be appreciated. And again, if this has already been answered, I apologize in advance.

Thanks, Jim

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Well, guys. Just as I'm posting this, I get a call from my auto loan company. A computer glitch has disabled all of their cars and they are working on the problem :-(.

If there is a way to delete posts, both of these can be deleted. Sorry for the trouble.

350 Posts
How would a computer glitch disable your car?

This is why i don't like electrical technology in cars-- other people controlling your vehicle.
Some used car dealers now routinely install a security system in the cars they sell. The system is for THEIR security, rather than yours. It has the following base functions:

1. Report the location of the car, as read by GPS and reported via cellular data link

2. Disable the ignition/start circuit of the car, to remotely immobilize it.

The idea is that if the buyer fails to make payments on the car, the finance company can a) lock down the car and prevent it from driving anywhere and b) get a GPS ping from it to send the repo man straight to it instead of a wild goose chase.

If the central server linked to that security module has the right "glitch" it could potentially result in quite a few cars being locked down. This is apparently what has happened.

350 Posts
Well that's a completely separate issue. No laws forcing anyone to have these immobilizers on their cars.

But there are commercial contracts which enforce their use. If you can buy a car from somebody who doesn't demand the use of one, good for you. I feel fortunate that I've never had to buy one either.

For some folks, it means they can at least get a car when nobody would have sold them one before, and for that it's useful. The key is to get out of it as quickly as possible.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts