Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For the past few months, my brakes (I think disc brakes, definitely not ABS) have been having a pulsing sound as I am slowing down and applying the brakes. It sounds like someone is knocking on a door. I had my mechanic look into this a couple weeks ago, and he said the rotors needed resurfacing. As I don't know anything about cars, brakes, etc., I said that would be fine. So, they resurfaced the rotors, and when I first drove the car, the brakes sounded great (as in, they had no sound), and I was very happy. That lasted about 2 days. Now, the knocking sound is back.

So, my questions are - have any other Accent owners had this problem? If so, has anyone found a permanent fix for this problem (inexpensive fixes are my favorite :grin: )? All advice will be appreciated - thanks!

·
Registered
4,624 Posts
Maybe they're bent? That can happen if you've had to slam on the brakes really really hard at a high rate of speed; i.e. Rt 76 to/from Philly... 70 mph to 0 mph in 5 seconds or less because knuckleheads don't know how to drive.

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
right, warped rotors are often caused by heavy braking, or braking from high speeds, then keeping the brakes applied at a stop while they are still really hot. I realize in most cases thats how you have to drive a car on the street and usually theres no way around it. Try to anticipate stops and brake more gently I guess is all you can do, aside from having the rotors "turned" or resurfaced as your mechanic did.

I occasionally notice some pulsation in my pedal when braking, but never any noise. a lot of times the pulsation feeling goes away before I even come to a complete stop.

My fiance's ford focus brakes on the other hand act and sound exactly how you described. the car has 110k+ miles on it though. She had the rotors turned last time the car was in for service and it also came back. We are not going to spend the money to look into it any further, a newer car will be replacing the focus soon.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks - I think that makes sense. I've got a heavy foot - both accelerating and braking. I'll try to be a better braker. ;)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts