Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been having trouble with my high side ac hose for a while, the schrader valve was leaking inside the cap when I filled it I added some die and saw the leak at the high side connection. I replaced the schrader valve and recharged the system but it still had a slow leak and I figured the seat might be bad so I decided to replace the entire high side line.

Got the new part took the to 10mm nut off, and started following the hose to the compressor to find that it's way up inside the engine at a weird angle. I took the skid plate off the bottom of the car but still can not see the bolt I need to free. My hands are pretty big do I need to remove the fan to reach down from the top?

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
Can't you replace the core on the Schrader valve?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Can't you replace the core on the Schrader valve?
I did that 2 years ago but the slow leak returned almost immediately in the exact same spot. This made me think the seat the core fits into must be the problem. I have a pump and manifold so I can always recharge the system and it stays cold for 1-2 months but it's annoying to have a leak so I want to fix it once and for all so I went up from the valve core to the whole hose.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So... here's a follow up for anyone that tries to do this down the road and wants to know how it can be done. You need a Philips head, a 10mm and a 12mm.

I took off the front bumper (there's a bunch of those plastic inserts that work like drywall anchors and a couple screws (one under each front wheel well). I also took off the splash guard underneath, about 6 bolts. I took off that plastic dust shield on top of the engine because one corner was catching the fans when I removed them.

I removed the A/C condenser completely ( 1 bolt on each side and 2 fittings for the high and low side) and get the radiator free. I didn't remove the bottom 3 fittings on my radiator (one big hose and 2 small metal lines) but I did remove the top hose. I removed both sides of the air intake that suits above the radiator and condenser. I also removed both fans. Each has 2 10mm bolts on the top and the bottoms just drop feet into place on fittings that are part of the radiator. There's also an electrical connection on each fan and the fans take some work to get out but after the condenser is off, if you remove the top hose on the radiator the two brackets holding it in place come right off and you can tilt the radiator forward (and lift it some if you're careful of the bottom fittings)

The I had to remove all of that because the high side hose can not be removed without unseating the low side hose. I could get to the high side hose from above but the low side was out of my view until I lifted the passenger side of the radiator and tilted it.

Before I took either fitting off I cleaned up that area with some break cleaner. I didn't want any of the gummy dirt (I had an oil leak a few years ago and the oil got into every tight space) to fall into the openings once I started moving the hoses. I only backed the low side off about halfway to keep the chances of getting something on the gasket at a minimum. I put some mineral oil on the gaskets and with the low side pulled out halfway I could work the high side in behind it.

The rest is just reversing the taking it apart. Once of the fans was a bear to get back in but eventually I was able to figure out what was hanging it up. Remember to reconnect all the electrical connections for the fans, the over flow line, the radiator hose and put all the shields back in place with the right hardware. some of the 10mm bolts are shorter than the others.

I have some pictures on my phone I'll add to this later.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts