Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all - first post on this forum but a long-time member of others. Be gentle with me :)

I've decided to buy a Santa Fe to replace my ageing (1997) V8 4.6 P38 Range Rover - the old girl needs to be retired now (if you know P38s you'll understand why) and I can't afford another one.

Here in Portugal, car prices are stupid (thank God the wine is cheap), so all I can afford is a 2007 model year, which will be the 7-seater adaptive AWD 2.2 148BHP diesel with whatever trim spec I can get for the money.

But here's my question (and yes - I have Searched and trawled through pages of posts):-

Should I get the automatic transmission or the manual (both 5-speed I believe)?

My initial preference is auto because of my experience with the Range Rover - easier to drive for a large heavy car (particularly around town), but I've read several posts about the auto box not changing up early enough / changing down too early / not being sure which gear to be in and generally keeping the diesel engine revving too high and thus destroying fuel consumption and being generally detrimental to a diesel engine.

What I like about turbo diesels is the low-down grunt, like my Range Rover V8 petrol and the turbo diesel of the LR Discovery I had before it. Most of my driving is urban (but lots of dirt tracks) but I can currently cruise on the motorways at 70mph / 120kph @ 2750 rpm - sweet. I'm not a speed freak any more - driving a Range Rover teaches you to "proceed with a little more alacrity" - comfort rather than outright acceleration.

However, I also read that the manual box gives at least 10% better fuel consumption and is a joy to use. What's the clutch like? Is it light? You wouldn't want your wife to drive a big manual Land Rover IMHO. Our other car is a Suzuki Jimny (manual) which is great fun and will go anywhere in any weather, but not with a great deal of comfort (especially back seat passengers) and for long runs.

There are very few automatic cars over here, so if I hold out for one it could take some time. I've yet to take a test drive (don't ask why - in the current climate you'd think dealers would be clambering all over you for a sale but sadly not) so do not have first hand experience of either yet.

I realise that many forum members are based across the pond and run the bigger petrol engines sold in those markets. I don't know if they use the same transmission so I don't know if your experiences are representative. I'd be buying a 2007 2.2 diesel European spec which I think is similar to the UK spec.

Anyway - enough for now. Having spent 13 years posting about Range Rovers here I am in a new environment - it'll be interesting to see what it's like!

Obrigado e boa noite / Thank you and goodnight :)

GRC

·
Registered
2,550 Posts
Welcome to Santa Fe land.

Your European spec Santa Fe will indeed be very close to the UK and Australian spec - but the steering wheel's in the wrong place !!

As far as I know the transmissions are the same for Europe and North America BUT the ratios are likely to be different to suit the different engines used, ie diesel vs petrol. This will of course mean that transmission ECU's are mapped differently to give different change points.

I can't offer any direct advice as I have the later 197PS diesel and 6-speed autobox - I would heartily recommend it for your purposes but you've already had to exclude the recent models on cost grounds.

·
Registered
169 Posts
2007 are 155Hhp + tuning box gives about 192hp manual box is fairly light and if traffic is light there is no need to drop below third gear even turning right( that's your right) if you're careful. Disadvantage DMF, especially if high mileage and no warranty. Auto depends on Portugals' fuel costs and where you are, hilly the auto may cost, auto probably safest if no, or short warranty

·
Registered
291 Posts
Hi and welcome GRC

I’ll add my few pence worth in here to cover my experience of the auto gearbox. I’ve got a 2009 and recently had the regular 155bhp engine remapped to give an alleged 35bhp and 50lb/ft increase which has absolutely transformed the car, most noticeably when cold and in urban use. The car was previously a little sluggish and rather ponderous off the mark though this is the first automatic I’ve lived with so had no real comparison. From painful experience I wanted to avoid anything with a DMF after catastrophic failure on my CRV, so I didn’t bother driving the manual despite the better fuel economy and better driveability.

The autobox isn’t fantastic and if left to its own devices doesn’t maximise the available low down torque but instead hangs on to the revs. There is the tiptronic side of the gearbox if you’re after more spirited driving or simply for more control, though in practice I seldom use it as it defeats the very object of buying the car which was for ease of driving. Increasingly the majority of my mileage is urban in cr*p traffic and the autobox makes for effortless driving. I really noticed the remap when joining motorways as without any effort I can now be way over the speed I need to join traffic and whilst this wasn’t an issue before, the car was appreciably more raucous when a bit of urgency was needed.

The trip suggests I’m averaging about 33mpg at the minute on a diet of congested 30mph roads, though at the weekend that can rise to nearly 40mpg on a motorway run and 45mpg if I reset the trip. That’s with two adults and plenty of baby paraphernalia plus the climate control left on automatic.

When I was looking to buy I read a few reviews that picked up on the large gap between first and second gear ratios, which if you have no need for towing, could get tiresome in everyday urban use.

I still really like the car after 2.5 years and definitely recommend you get a drive of one.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi all - thanks for the replies. Went up to Lisbon a couple of days ago, visited a few dealers and drove a couple of Santa Fe's. Settled on a 10/06 metallic black 2.2 diesel 7-seater with 5-speed auto box, cream leather interior, electric driver's seat, a few extras (not GPS) and only 65,000 kms on the clock. Needs 2 new front tyres, a service and one small paint job on the rear tailgate (just above the number plate) but otherwise looks good. Plastic floor protectors all round (including boot) and a non-smoker first owner (unusual here in Portugal). Indicator stalk on the left plus mandatory 1-year warranty.

I was nearly swayed by a 04/2007 auto with perfect metallic battleship gray paintwork, 95,000 kms and new Pirelli Scorpion ATs all round ( I love those tyres - have them on my Range Rover) but it had scuffed black leather with some crumpling around the driver's seat (I've seen that on a couple of other cars - cheap leather?) and the factory ICE had been (badly) replaced by an Alpine unit with fancy swivel out/up LCD screen, loose trim plus a gap below.

The one I've sprung for drives very nicely; I did around town and a motorway stint and did notice the auto box changing up later than I would have preferred sometimes, but then I am used to a big old V8 where it all happens down low. What else should I look for now I've committed?

Should pick the car up next week with luck and straight into a 300 km drive down from Lisbon to our place on the Algarve - happy to post further impressions as they crop up.

A final ask - my owner's manual is in Portuguese (of course). Whilst I speak basic/average Portuguese, an English-language version would be great. Anyone know where I could find a copy to download? I've found one but it seems to be for a MY 2007 2.7/3.3 petrol engine for the Australian market (?) I guess a MY 2007 2.2 CRDi UK market version would be closest.

Obrigado e boa noite

GRC

·
Registered
96 Posts
I have a 2006 auto, and although not a big fan of autos in general, think the auto is well suited to the car, after 50,000 miles I have had no issues, other than the gearboxseems to learn your driving style, and after long trips on motorways, the gearbox, can sometimes become "confused" holding gears, although disconnecting the battery resets the ecu. Not sure if this is why previous posters feel the box is reluctant to change up? but I find the changes are generally about right and is a very relaxing drive.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts