Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We love our 2008 Hyundai Veracruz. Hyundai has come a long way since we owned a 1990 Hyundai Excel. We love Hyundais so much, I purchased a 2009 Hyundai Genesis 4 months ago.

My wife was in an accident June 2010 in the Veracruz. She was rearended and ran into a telephone pole, and her driver airbag did not deploy. Now I know why. It did almost $8,000 damage to the car and she is still seeing a therapist about her neck and back. We believe if she was is a Lexus RX350 (we were going to purchase until we found the Veracruz), she would have been hurt worse. But if the airbag had done its job and deployed, she probably would be better by now.

I will definitely be contacting Hyundai U.S.A. about this matter.

·
Registered
41 Posts
2007-08 air bag recall

I just bought a 2007 Veracruz and I was concerned so I called Hyundai U.S.A. and spoke to a rep for about 30 min. The recall has not been issued yet because it is so new. If you want to get it addressed before you receive the recall in the mail, they will only acknowledge the problem if your air bag light has illuminated indicating a problem. I told them that they better get these recll notices out fast. A very serious defect in my opinion. The bright spot here is that the Hyundai Veracruz got 5 stars in frontal crash testing for the 2007.

-Mark

·
Registered
41 Posts
Guys, get this recall addressed ASAP!!

I am bringing this up again for the benefit of Veracruz owners not the mechanics on here. I have seen this recall campaign discussed in other forums...

The clock spring in your 2007-8 Veracruz needs to be replaced!!
I strongly recommend all owners address this ASAP. You dont want yourself or somebody else to have serious injuries because this wasn't resolved. I was one of the very first Veracruz owners to have this recall addressed immediately after I discovered it. If you haven't received the recall notice contact your dealer to see if it is affected. This recall has not nearly been given nearly enough urgency by Hyundai dealers in my opinion.

For more information click on this Hyundai recalling over 200,000 Santa Fe and Veracruz crossovers

·
Registered
8 Posts
My 17-year old son just got rear-ended by a drunk driver while my son was at a complete stop at a stoplight in his 2007 Veracruz (119K miles on it). $3900 worth of damage to back end covered by drunk driver. AIR BAGS DID NOT DEPLOY, and the guy was going about 40-45 mph. My son was ok, but his girlfriend got a severe concussion in front seat passenger. Her head and neck got slammed forward and backward. She missed weeks of school. VERY strange that they didn't deploy from a direct rear hit............

·
Registered
37 Posts
My 17-year old son just got rear-ended by a drunk driver while my son was at a complete stop at a stoplight in his 2007 Veracruz (119K miles on it). $3900 worth of damage to back end covered by drunk driver.
Rear ended @ 45 MPH while stopped, and the Veracruz only took $3900 in damages?!? :oops: That's one tough truck! A hit like that totals out most vehicles.
In this instance, with no front collision, an airbag deploy may have injured your son more. Imagine being blasted in the chest with a 110mph bag, when there was no frontal impact.

The original 2011 post of the after collision pole strike, fail to deploy, that's a bit scary. How hard did it hit the pole?
Sassylady13's son's Veracruz performed as expected in my view. Better than I expected actually. Only $3900 for repairs?
A deploy without sufficient forward momentum from the human is like being punched with a door.
Veracruz Crash Test Veracruz Side Impact

For shorter drivers, dwarfs and firefighter at the scene of the crash, airbags can be deadly.

With rear collisions, lawyers look at the seat back and headrest performance in the crash. Headrest failures cause lifelong neck and back issues.
I hope they both fully recover. -PC

·
Registered
8 Posts
Rear ended @ 45 MPH while stopped, and the Veracruz only took $3900 in damages?!? :oops: That's one tough truck! A hit like that totals out most vehicles.
In this instance, with no front collision, an airbag deploy may have injured your son more. Imagine being blasted in the chest with a 110mph bag, when there was no frontal impact.

The original 2011 post of the after collision pole strike, fail to deploy, that's a bit scary. How hard did it hit the pole?
Sassylady13's son's Veracruz performed as expected in my view. Better than I expected actually. Only $3900 for repairs?
A deploy without sufficient forward momentum from the human is like being punched with a door.
Veracruz Crash Test Veracruz Side Impact

For shorter drivers, dwarfs and firefighter at the scene of the crash, airbags can be deadly.

With rear collisions, lawyers look at the seat back and headrest performance in the crash. Headrest failures cause lifelong neck and back issues.
I hope they both fully recover. -PC
Just the bumper and back hatch (sensors) had to be replaced and painted. They used used parts because of the age of the vehicle. Very blessed that the car AND my son held up. Sounds like it was better that airbags didn't deploy....

·
Registered
37 Posts
Some airbags pack a deadly punch. Folks play with them like they're a funny toy.
You can clearly tell some of the victims of the airbag pranks in this video were injured.

I have an existing neck injury/condition. Doctor warned me about a rear collision and what will happen to me if my headrest is maladjusted or fails on impact.
Thanks for sharing. (y)

(from my doctor)
-The headrest should catch your head at ear height in the center of the rest if you throw yourself back in the seat as if just bumped from behind.
Too low and whiplash will be your fate. Hyper tension-Hyper flexion. Your neck will hurt... forever!
Too high and you could suffer a broken neck and bite your own mouth badly.

If the seat back fails, you're headed into the backseat, head first. Everything in the back of your car is coming to meet you.
My friend and mentor was rear-ended by a fedex semi at a red light. The seat back on his little ford ranger failed, and he broke out the back window with his head. He's fine now.;)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts