Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, new to this forum - infact new to any forum...

Read through lots of posts concerning suspension, shocks etc.

I've no idea what the difference is between suspension / shocks, springs / struts etc.

I have an issue with my SF rear shocks; The rear end was sitting very low and lots of hard hitting noises from the back when going over pot-holes and bumps.

When I took the car into official Hyundai dealer - they said the shocks were leaking and I needed new ones. They quoted around £270 fitted (both). I had this done - but on collection the rear-end was still sitting at the same level.

I complained and they said maybe I needed new springs as well (perhaps - not sure). They then took the car back in to take a second look and I got a call saying they fitted the wrong shocks and that I needed the 'self-levelling' ones.

[I had actually asked them about 'self-levelling' when I first took it into the dealer - but they didn't appear to have a clue as to what I was talking about.]

Now they're quoting around £1500+ to replace the self-levelling ones?

Question to the experts ....

If the 'shocks' need replacing (self-levelling ones apprarently), do they really cost this much? What is the correct part no. for these shocks?

Also, should I also be replacing the 'SPRINGS'? If so, what part no.? I can't seem to find the right ones on eBay for example. All the ones I find say 'excluding ride height control' in the specs!

Do the springs get damaged if the car has been driven on leaking-shocks?

Also, what are 'struts'?

·
Registered
624 Posts
From everything I'm reading it seems that the self-leveling shocks really are that much, which is completely ridiculous. One other thread said around 800 pounds each---ouch!

I wouldn't think the springs would be gone though just because the shocks were bad. Basically the springs hold up the car and the shocks keep the suspension from bouncing around after going over a bump.

Struts are basically a shock and spring combined--look at the front of the Santa Fe or likely all 4 corners of your i40.

On a side note--is the self-leveling suspension just a UK thing? I have a 7-passenger model but I don't see any mention of this in US parts catalogs etc.

·
Registered
22 Posts
The faulty rear shocks are a known issue. (I had one of mine replaced within a couple of months and saw the cross charging invoice of I think £860 so yes they are expensive but self levelling ones are.)

Your Santa Fe is not too long out of its 5 year warranty so even though shocks are treated as wear and tear you "may" have some luck looking for a goodwill contribution from Hyundai especially if the car has been main dealer serviced. If you don't, go to an independent who will charge less for fitting and don't give the work to the dealer who fitted the wrong ones - dreadful error for a main dealer to make.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I had this problem. Car was under warranty but shocks not covered due to mileage > 60000. Hyundai were looking for £1600+. In the end my backstreet mechanic put in the standard 5 seat shocks and new springs. New springs are required as 7 seat ones are a much lighter spring. If they are not replaced it will continue to sit very low at back. Been fine since and saved about £1200. I have two 7 seater springs if anyone wants them !

1 - 4 of 4 Posts