Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was riding in my wife's 2006 Sonata the other day, and noticed some tapping on the windshield. When we stopped, I noticed some small rubber gasket and plastic pieces coming from the windshield gasket area, near the windshield wipers (see pictures).

Was wondering if this is something that needs to be replaced very quickly, or what. Appears to be dry-rotted or something. Is this something that a window place can do, or do I need something special from Hyundai? :)

IMG_0442.jpg

IMG_0443.jpg

IMG_0444.jpg

Also, been meaning to replace the windshield wiper arms, since they have faded and started to rust.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Oh, another thing.. should I just replace the plastic part under the window wipers? It has faded to almost grey, and very dull. Was thinking about painting it, or maybe just buying and replacing it.

What has everyone else done?

Also, what is it called? Part #?

·
Banned
532 Posts
Also, been meaning to replace the windshield wiper arms, since they have faded and started to rust.
We had the same issue on our Explorer get some 120 emery cloth, a can of gray primer, one of flat black and in 1-2 hours your done.

Take what you saved and get a case of beer, after all you'll be watching paint dry :beer:

jd

·
Registered
136 Posts
I'm not sure if the gasket at the base of the windshield is decorative or functional. The sealant used to bond the windshield of the NF Sonatas has aging problems. If the seal at the base of the windshield is actually failing you'll get water problems behind the dash. You should have either the dealer or a windshield shop inspect it.

I had to have my seal repaired above the driver's door. It had separated & was leaking into the A-Pillar trim. The dealer admitted that the sealant used was at fault but it was only covered under the 12 mo adjustment warranty. Since I was way beyond that I had to pay for the repair. I suspect in time I'll need to repair it again. Just one of the few weak points in the design of the car.

Good Luck

1 - 6 of 6 Posts