Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On Saturday while driving I noticed the battery and Brakes dash lights were coming on sporadically in our 2006 Tucson.

I didn't think much of it, but this morning my wife was driving it again and multiple lights came on (Battery, Brakes, ABS, ECS Off,) and it began to idle roughly and shift hard from first to second.

My first thought is a computer issue. Anyone ever experienced this?

·
Registered
Drives : Nissan NV200 Flies : Rans S6ES
15,324 Posts
My first thought is a computer issue.
My first thought would be a charging system issue. I'd certainly advise getting the charging system checked before replacing an expensive computer.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your reply.

Are you referring to the alternator in particular? Would that cause problems with shifting and idling?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I should mention I did try to disconnect the battery for while and reconnect with no success.

·
Registered
15,324 Posts
Are you referring to the alternator in particular?
I'm referring to the charging system as a whole. You need to test the complete system to know what part of it is at fault.

neato said:
Would that cause problems with shifting and idling?
I suppose it could if the voltage gets low enough. It will cause the battery and park brake warning lights to illuminate.

Have you had the engine and ABS scanned to see what trouble codes have been logged?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I haven't yet. Ill take it down this afternoon to have that done.

I did just check the battery while the car was idling and got a reading of 9.3 volts. Does that seem low?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So I took the battery down to Autozone. They said it was at 47%, so they charged it up and tested it and said it was good.

I'm not an expert, but this seems to be pointing toward an alternator issue. Is there a way to test that myself?

·
Registered
4,851 Posts
So I took the battery down to Autozone. They said it was at 47%, so they charged it up and tested it and said it was good.

I'm not an expert, but this seems to be pointing toward an alternator issue. Is there a way to test that myself?
If you get 13.5 volts using any cheap multi-meter at the battery while engine is running above 1000 rpm, then it's charging.

·
Registered
4,851 Posts
FYI: They tell me over at the Kia forum that Sportage (same car) is also prone to poor grounding of motor to battery issues. Bad main ground can make any electrical part do weird things.

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
On Saturday while driving I noticed the battery and Brakes dash lights were coming on sporadically in our 2006 Tucson.

I didn't think much of it, but this morning my wife was driving it again and multiple lights came on (Battery, Brakes, ABS, ECS Off,) and it began to idle roughly and shift hard from first to second.

My first thought is a computer issue. Anyone ever experienced this?
Couple things stick out right off the top......

That chassis come with 2 different engines,, none of which called in post text,, or in your profile to show under username,, and a location.. which market we in ?

Warning lights got dash lit up like Christmas Tree,,,, SCAN IT !! Have complete FAULT CODE SEARCH done of all onboard modules to tie things together..

Have Hyundai dealer fella do complete search and print the results for you,, they can print all they want.... post up the codes

·
Registered
4,851 Posts
WHOA! So check this out: I went outside to check the battery on my 2007 Tucson. I have a digital tester that checks both battery health and state of charge. While my battery was deemed healthy at 88%, IT WAS ALMOST TOTALLY DISCHARGED! In other words, I must have the same problem as OP. Who is willing to bet me 100 to 1 I got bad battery ground to motor on the Tucson too?

·
Registered
15,324 Posts
Scanning it at this point is really a complete wast of time and money, IMHO.

The car has been driving (somehow) with a system voltage of 9.3V, so none of the codes logged are of any diagnostic value. They are all most likely just a symptom of the fault, not an indicator of the cause of it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts