Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yes, I did a Search before posting; the other topic was "Steering Wheel Won't Turn"

Last night I couldn't unlock/start my 2006 Sonata. KC's steering wheel sometimes locks and needs a bit of a twist, but this was different. Nothing I did would let me turn the key in the ignition. Roadside assist called. Fiddled, fiddled, fiddled. Finally got the key to turn and started the car. Cancelled tow, drove home.

I keep my original key in the kitchen general junk drawer; it's almost unused. Tried the old, worn key again: stuck. Tried the unworn key: success!

I'm on my way to the Hundai dealer to get a new, cut key made from the unworn key. BTW, the worn key still didn't work this AM.

So if you have a 2006 with a worn, brassy key, it's time to re-key from an unworn key. It's a lot better than being stuck waiting for a tow! :grin:

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
Common problem... replace the ignition key cylinder... we see it alot on the 2006,,, part on the shelf here..

We pull the old cylinder, and set it with the new cylinder up the street to the lock shop and have new cylinder coded for existing vehicle' keys.

·
Banned
4,119 Posts
Hmmmmm..... Interesting...... Several months ago I had a similar issue, when at the end of a trip my key would not get out of the lock, just got stuck there. I had to very delicately turn it back and forth till it got released... But it never happened again....

So one way to deal with it is start using the spare key. The other, more pro-active is just get a new cylinder.... What cost are we talking about?.....

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
QUOTE (mamamia @ Jun 22 2010, 04:03 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=335300
Hmmmmm..... Interesting...... Several months ago I had a similar issue, when at the end of a trip my key would not get out of the lock, just got stuck there. I had to very delicately turn it back and forth till it got released... But it never happened again....

So one way to deal with it is start using the spare key. The other, more pro-active is just get a new cylinder.... What cost are we talking about?.....

All the ones we done were passed off on warranty..

·
Banned
4,119 Posts
QUOTE (sbr711 @ Jun 22 2010, 03:43 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=335310
All the ones we done were passed off on warranty..
Good to know...... But.... That's only when something does go wrong (and you're STUCK), as was in the Mennis' case.... I think at this stage, with a 4.5 year old car, I'll just do what he has done, and replace my daily-used key with the other, new, unused one.... Preventive care as they call it....

·
Registered
3,712 Posts
Mama make a copy of the new and unused one before you lose it. :thumbsup: Any good hardware store can order in the blank and cut it for you. Might save some dough.

·
Registered
2,204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
A cut key is different than a duplicated key. A cut key is made by the dealer with a BF pair of pliers and a set of dies; it's much more accurate than a duplicated key, which is made by a spinning abrasive disk on a "cloner."

After looking at the drawings/procedure on the HMA site, replacing the lock cylinder looks easy enough. It's better than just replacing the key so I'll give it a shot. Now I'm glad I haven't got around to putting the crash pad cover back on; all comes to he who procrastinates! :grin: Thanks, sbr711!

·
Registered
158 Posts
QUOTE (craigbrooks @ Jun 22 2010, 05:33 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=335353
Mama make a copy of the new and unused one before you lose it. :thumbsup: Any good hardware store can order in the blank and cut it for you. Might save some dough.
I had a hardware store made-key get stuck in my lock cylinder in my sonata. I couldn't get the key out at all, I could only go between accessory, on and start. After a $500 day at the dealer, lesson learned, and now I only get OEM keys.

·
Banned
4,119 Posts
If my old keys functioned well for 4.5 years, I guess the new, unused set will last at least another 4.5 years....

·
Registered
2,061 Posts
QUOTE (mamamia @ Jun 23 2010, 10:07 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=335537
If my old keys functioned well for 4.5 years, I guess the new, unused set will last at least another 4.5 years....
Same situation here... 4.5 years old, never a problem. Wife uses her key every day, I use mine maybe
once per month. So we'll switch while hers still works. It should last until the end, another 3-4 years.

·
Registered
87 Posts
What we do with all of the cars in my company is put one OEM key in the safe, give the other to the primary vehicle operator, then give hardware store copies to everyone else, in case we need to borrow each other's cars (I have a date, can I borrow Greg's sedan for the weekend?/I need to haul some plywood, can I borrow Dave's pickup for the weekend?/I want to look hardcore, can I drive the bucket truck that no one seems to know why we have...) Even with only occasional use, we've found the hardware store keys only last a couple of years, but I've had the OEM Key to my Elantra wagon for 10 years, and it still works fine. I would say buying all of your keys from the dealer would be a wise decision.

·
Registered
904 Posts
My wifes key was randomly get stuck in the ignition. When she finally told me I looked at it and some how the end of it had a burr like somebody was tapping it hard on something. I had to file it off and now no issues.

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
HEHEHEHEE !!!

Doing a cylinder today... old and new cylinders currently up the street at lock shop having new cylinder coded to existing current key so car stay "1 key",, rather than 2 different keys..

Attachments

·
Registered
153 Posts
2010 with Locked Ignition

Common problem... replace the ignition key cylinder... we see it alot on the 2006,,, part on the shelf here..

We pull the old cylinder, and set it with the new cylinder up the street to the lock shop and have new cylinder coded for existing vehicle' keys.

Is it still common in new NF's ???
I was hoping by 2010 these 06 problems where fixed but I am having the same problem..... except the cylinder is not in stock nor replacement keys.

Since the car is dead until the parts arrive hopefully mid next week, do you think a used key would help ? so far my research has mixed results.
My car only came with the 1 fob and key(which I suspect is getting quite worn but I am considering a possibility there maybe 1 in the control module for the after market auto start.

I was looking at getting a new viper system anyway sinee I don't have any fobs for the autostart and they will be a lot to replace.
The shop told me that if the autostart was installed when the car was new chances are 1 of the 2 missing keys may be in the module as this was common when the 2010 style chip keys where introduced....

Can anyone confirm this before I rip the dash apart in a snow storm ? thanks muchly !!!

·
Registered
153 Posts
20 min edit window expired, wanted to add more info:

I have owned my 2010 Sonata for a year less 10 days and for the second time I am having this issue, no matter what I do the key will not turn.

The first time was 6 months ago (A nice July evening) and after 20 mins of frustrating playing with the wheel ( & shifter) and key I was able to get the key to turn.

Why it suddenly worked and didn't happen again for 6 months of an avg 8-10 daily starts I am not sure.

Anyone else experience this ? I passed it off because it never happened again, just the occasional steering wheel lock, which is no issue.

what else was strange is my key seems to be dual sided but after this I have had to flip the key often as it would only work one way.... is this normal ?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts