Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
80,000 miles. Engine started making a whirring noise a few months ago. From accounts here I suspected the drive belt idler. Took it to Buerkle Hyundai and they immediately identified the problem as a broken harmonic balancer. The failed part showed the pulley completely separated from the isolation material and it was only driving the belt by accident.

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
80,000 miles. Engine started making a whirring noise a few months ago. From accounts here I suspected the drive belt idler. Took it to Buerkle Hyundai and they immediately identified the problem as a broken harmonic balancer. The failed part showed the pulley completely separated from the isolation material and it was only driving the belt by accident.
You're quite lucky the belt was still being driven. I guess it's common to have to replace that at least once. How is Buerkle? I usually go to Inver Grove but I'm pretty much in between both. Got to take mine in for the rear sub-frame recall after the snow melts.

·
Registered
217 Posts
I had that one too in my 06 Sonata. Apparently pretty common problem.

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
Common problem for yrs across some of the product line..

1 - 5 of 5 Posts