Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for some tires on my sonata 225/50/17. What will be best tire for this car? we live in Iowa so I need something all season. Winter time seems to be bad for this car with oem michelins. Thanks Todd

·
Registered
356 Posts
I had the same experience with the OEM Michelins - crappy in the snow. For my second set I went with Kuhmo KH-16 and they are even worse in the snow. I was beginning to think that the Sonata was just not suited for snow. Last winter I decided to bite-the-bullet and get some 16 inch rims and General Arctic Alpin snow tires. It's an amazing difference - snow and ice are no problem now. There must be an all-season tire that's good in both summer and winter, but I think that for now on I'm going to go with separate summer and winter tires on my cars.

BTW, the 16 inch alloy wheels and snow tires were about the same cost as a set of premium 17 inch tires without rims, so I really didn't spend any extra money when you look at dollars per mile on tire wear.

·
Registered
49 Posts
QUOTE (Klute @ Oct 25 2010, 03:19 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=366197
i bought these for my 06 lx recently.. nice and stable and I spent hours looking at reviews for them from states that get as much if not more snow that iowa.. all signs point to good snow and ice performance.. Winter will tell i guess..

i bought them at discounttires.com. For 2 it was $290 (including tire protection) with about $40 mount and balance at sears..

Hope this helps
JH - Cedar Rapids..

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes I have been on tirerack and discount tire and read alot of reviews. It makes it hard because they get mixed reviews. Thanks for all your input.

·
Registered
882 Posts
Nokian WR G2

Great all around tire that is mountain/snowflake rated for severe snow. They handle better than my Michelins did and were great in the 3 seasons of snow I used them for. I actually bought them as my winter tires as I see a lot of dry/wet road in the winter and having previous experience with the original WR's. After 18k miles I was down to 7/32 and the "snow" wear bars are at 6/32" to let you know snow grip will be reduced. Just installed them as my 3 season to replace the Michelins that were worn down to 3/32" after 41k and got REAL scary in the rain.

There is no substitute for true dedicated winter tires but these were the best compromise I've ever had just like their predecessor. Many family friends only get these as it saves them the hassle of changing over to winter tires rims. The only downside is that they are a little noisier (slight whine on smooth road) as compared to the dead quiet Michelins but after a sort time you don't really notice as it becomes "normal" (unless you switch back to real quiet ones). That is the trade off you get for more aggressive tread patterns that will deliver decent snow performance.

I went back to a true winter tire ExtremeWinterContact for this coming winter but pending how they wear/perform for the next seasons, the WRG2's (or whatever current at the time) will replace them. Notice that the tread pattern is VERY similar to the G2's just more heavily siped.

Nokian WR (orginal) might still be available also in your size. These were quieter for the dry/wet seasons but not quite as good in the snow though still MUCH BETTER than any other all season you'll find.

Some other reviews:
Canadiandriver
acurazine
Consumerreports

Other than the Nokians as 1st choice I'd probably get the DWS listed from Tirerack. Watch their video under "tests" tab also. I am actually considering the DWS or Michelin Pilot Exalto A/S as my next 3 season tires. The problem with good winter tires is once you know how much better they perform it is REAL hard to go backwards. The cost of spare rims/tires is less than my insurance deductible never mind bodily injury to wife and kids as well as myself. I always leave room especially in winter and have been able to watch others sliding behind me where I then stepped on the gas and moved to the side with no issue while they slid into the car that USED to be in front of me!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts