Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The handle side hood release cable on my 2006 Sonata 3.3 has been stretched to the point where I need a pair of pliers to open the hood and I am attempting to replace the cable.

What I am curious about is what is the best way to seat the new cable into the same position, since it looks like the cable goes under the fuse box and around the wheel well and it's really tough to get at. The main problem I am running into is getting at all the connectors that hold the cable in place and how to remove them from the old cable.

I've also ordered the latch side cable, but had planned on replacing that after the handle side to confirm the handle side is the one that's stretched (the latch has already been removed and cleaned up to eliminate that as a possibility of jamming).

Parts Ordered (from Rock Auto):
Auto 7 - Latch Side Release Cable - 928-0053 - $7.73
Auto 7 - Handle Side Release Cable - 928-0066 - $9.96

·
Registered
231 Posts
Did u spray WD40 along the entire line under the hood? Pull the release and look for all the moving parts- they all need spraying down. Try this first. I had the same problem. Mine had no "play" but then was fine

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Just a follow up. I did attempt spraying Liquid Wrench to help loosen the handle-side hood release cable, and it did help a little. The problem was the cable was stretched out so the only way to release the hood was using a set of pliers to pull the cable since the handle in the interior didn't pull it far enough.

I attempted to replace it by disconnecting it, disconnecting the fasteners by removing the inner-plastic fender in the wheel well, and tying a string to the end of the cable and feeding it through.

The big issue I ran into was one of the fasteners ended up getting pulled under the fuse box and was stuck there so everytime I tried pulling the cable it got jammed about halfway through, and I can't seem to get at the fastener to remove it. I pulled the cable back through and reattached it and I plan on taking it to an auto shop in the morning to see if they can swap it out for me. Needing the car to get to work and the cold weather is having me admit defeat on this one.

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
Needing the car to get to work and the cold weather is having me admit defeat on this one.
Close the hood, and drive it for what you need.. wait till next oil change (prefferably at dealer where they will run VIN to make sure you have no open recalls, as there is couple new recent recall that chassis),,, and make arrangements to leave car for oil change and hood cable replacement and recalls done in 1 sitting.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If it makes you feel any better, mine didn't actually break, I just need pliers to open my hood. If you do attempt it, I highly recommend removing the three fasteners/retainers before fishing it through otherwise it will get caught like mine (Retainers: from inner wheel well push in the sides, push it out, then pull the plastic flaps apart and it will open up).

Maybe its just me but I find myself spending half my time figuring out how all the various retainers and connectors disconnect. At least next time will be easier.

·
Registered
28 Posts
2006 Hood Release cable fix

2006 3.3L V6 GLS
I also had an issue with the hood release cable stretching, and the hood latch not releasing. Instead of replacing the cable, I repositioned the cable so it was stretched out and then zip tied the two ends. The plastic ends have a slot that seats into the bracket, if you put the plastic end on the outside of the bracket, it stretches the cable enough to work without replacement. See picture...

Attachments

·
Registered
4 Posts
Not to hijack your thread, but I have the same issue. How do you open the hood if the release cable is damaged? For the life of me, I can't figure it out. Do I have to remove the plastic underpanel and stick my arm up there with pliers and try to pull the cable manually?

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
Just grab end of cable at the lever under dash and pull on cable.. easy/lazy cheap solution to not replacing cable..

·
Registered
45 Posts
Just grab end of cable at the lever under dash and pull on cable.. easy/lazy cheap solution to not replacing cable..
I have to pull on it really hard to get it to release. Anyone have pictures of areas to spray WD-40 to loosen this up? TIA!

·
Registered
6 Posts
I also had this issue and had to relocate one of the plastic ends to stretch it enough that it now opens. I sprayed some WD-40 and white lithium grease on the opening mechanism to keep it from sticking and stretching more. Did anyone else spray WD-40 in other areas or along the whole cable assembly?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
I sprayed it with some liquid wrench/PB Blaster in each end of the plastic casing of the cable and it significantly helped and the cable freely moves now. Twisting it around a bunch trying to get the cable out then putting it back may have loosened it up somewhat as well. I never did end up getting the dealer to replace it. I do want to give it another shot (I already bought the replacement cables).

In the mean time I'm just using a pair of locking jaw pliers to pull the cable and the liquid wrench helped alot with that (~3ish lbs pulling force vs 15-20 before). I have a state inspection sticker due in April so I'll have it fixed by then.

·
Registered
1 Posts
My issue is a little different. My cable woks to open the hood, but after it's open it won't latch when you close it. It's like there is a broken spring that is supposed to pull the cable back. I have to move the cable with my fingers to get it to catch.

·
Registered
2 Posts
2006 Hood Release cable fix

2006 3.3L V6 GLS
I also had an issue with the hood release cable stretching, and the hood latch not releasing. Instead of replacing the cable, I re-positioned the cable so it was stretched out and then zip tied the two ends. The plastic ends have a slot that seats into the bracket, if you put the plastic end on the outside of the bracket, it stretches the cable enough to work without replacement. See picture...
Hey Dean, I don't know if you're still a member on this forum... having the same issue and probably need to do the zip tie fix... cheaper than replacing the core support with those terribly designed brackets!!!! Did you drill holes in the core support to accommodate the zip ties? Thanks for any help you can provide.

Brian

1 - 14 of 14 Posts