Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know there are many threads everywhere on the net and here, but i need to ask my specific question because i cannot find it anywhere...
i finally got the cv axle out of my 2006 sonata, 3.3L, passenger side, now i cannot get the axle back in!

No clip on the end of the shaft to the transmission and this shaft is the one with the bracket and the carrier bearing...that said, (those of you that DO know this type) know there is not a lot of room to move, push shove this shaft in the transmission....I can get it started, but i cant quite feel it in the trans, and not sure what i should do next, (afraid of screwing things up).

That said, what do i do?....push it in as much as possible and hit the outside (wheel side with the wood hammer combo)? Do i put in trans as much as possible and reinstall the spindle/rotor and that will push it in?

Help please i need the car tomorrow (of course i do right!?)

thank you.

·
Premium Member
875 Posts
I know there are many threads everywhere on the net and here, but i need to ask my specific question because i cannot find it anywhere...
i finally got the cv axle out of my 2006 sonata, 3.3L, passenger side, now i cannot get the axle back in!

No clip on the end of the shaft to the transmission and this shaft is the one with the bracket and the carrier bearing...that said, (those of you that DO know this type) know there is not a lot of room to move, push shove this shaft in the transmission....I can get it started, but i cant quite feel it in the trans, and not sure what i should do next, (afraid of screwing things up).

That said, what do i do?....push it in as much as possible and hit the outside (wheel side with the wood hammer combo)? Do i put in trans as much as possible and reinstall the spindle/rotor and that will push it in?

Help please i need the car tomorrow (of course i do right!?)

thank you.
It's not that hard, I just replaced mine on a 2009 Sonata a few months ago.
You need to support the drive shaft straight and in level with opening of the transaxle, apply gear oil on drive shaft splines, align drive shaft splines and slowly push the drive shaft into the opening of the transaxle. Once the drive shaft is in, apply a small amount of grease in the guide pin holes on the inner shaft bracket, align and mount the inner shaft bracket. The trick is to make sure the drive shaft is straight and level during the installation. It's better to remove the drive shaft splash shield from the wheel well so you can see better during the installation, good luck and have fun!

·
Registered
882 Posts
Where did you get the new axle? The CV axle teeth for 2.4L and 3.3L are different. Don't buy axle on Amazon they can't guarantee the fitment. Once you can put the axle bearing bolts back on that should be fine

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thank you wongpfh and camper for the replies...shaft is in. i recounted the teeth and measured again, so i knew i did not have a misbox. then after trying it from a fresh start and not in the rain, things went a bit better. A bit more trans fluid on the splines and better gloves i think did most of it, and she started inching in. carrier bearing shafts are not fun. another battle was getting the old one out and the new one in through the control arm!(?) no room! anyway it is all together and the alignment /pin bracket are in...so i guess i am good, as it only goes together one way (this is the only reason i think i like carrier bearing type cv axles. thanks again, fingers crossed. Test drive and fluid checks etc, hope i did not miss anything...Oh and no more cv noise to boot. Cheers!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts