Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I know from owning past vehicles that GM and Honda both have circuitry that will shut off the dome light after 15 minutes or so if you leave your door ajar (or open). Our Santa Fe obviously doesn't have this. My eight year-old doesn't always get his door shut and my wife doesn't notice the dome light on in the middle of the day. The next morning, the battery is dead.

This has happened three times now and it's usually when I'm not home. Other than shutting off the dome light with the switch, is there any other way to handle this problem?

·
Registered
843 Posts
Hi KPM,
Puzzles me a bit. When you leave your door ajar you will not be able to lock the car (central locking) when you leave it.
Also, I think (not shure), when you take out the ignition key, the dome light should also shut off after some minute or so, even with door open.
So I wonder if there is another problem with your door switch controller, not switching off the dome light after time.
Otherwise the only other possibility is indeed to switch off the light with the switch.
Good luck,
Paul

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have a 2011 Elantra and I'm able to press the lock button on the remote while the doors are still open and it will lock all the locks. I think the wife's Santa Fe works the same, but haven't been out there to actually try it.

This time she swears the doors were all closed tight. We ended up buying a new battery for it. The last one was three years old. Batteries don't last long down here in Florida.

I remember my sister, who lives in Michigan, calling me one time to complain she had to buy a new battery for her Isuzu pickup. I asked her how old it was. At first she said she didn't know. Then she said it had never been replaced and the truck was ten years old.

·
Registered
843 Posts
Hi KPM,
The Santa will lock the other doors with a door ajar but it will put a lock on that open door.
When that door then shuts it will also lock it.
You can always lock/unlock the car with the key, you need not use the remote.
However, I don't know for how long it will keep the dome light on when the lock has been activated with an open door.
I need to try it myself.
greets,
Paul

1 - 4 of 4 Posts