Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good morning. I am new the the forum and new to Hyundai. Actually I am trying to assist my mother with her 2006 Hyundai Santa Fe. She bought the car new (only owner) It has 54,143 miles on it, but 11 months past her 10 year warranty. Recently it started "lurching" and she "thinks" the check engine light came on. It is not on now. We had the vehicle towed (on a flat bed) to a local dealer. At first they could not find anything wrong with the vehicle. They then called back and said that she needs to have the transmission replaced. I am VERY SUSPICIOUS of this with such low milage, never towed ANYTHING, and been very gently used. I have read the posts to test the Trans Input sensor, Trans Output sensor, Throttle Position sensor. Can anyone else give me any insight or suggestions? Thank you in advance for your help.

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
It's easier to help you if you can fill in all the information in your profile marked by the pencil icons. That info will show up in the left margin of your posts.

You said it's a 2006 Santa Fe but there are some similarities between the first generation and early second generation. Is this a four cylinder or one of the V-6 engines? Is it a four speed or a six speed transmission? Many of us have found that replacing the transmission fluid, either a part of it or completely flush and refill, can solve the problem of hard shifting. In my own case, I had a 2001 that would shift hard at low speeds, especially approaching a stop. I drained the transmission of about half its fluid and refilled with about six quarts of new Hyundai fluid to bring the level up to where it belonged. This solved that problem.

Just FYI - Many of us here, including me, are extremely cautious of mixing original factory fluids with newer non-factory fluids, such as in transmissions and power steering systems. If a non-OEM fluid is to be used, the system being serviced should be completely flushed of all old fluid to avoid mixing dissimilar fluids. In other words, although some consider it no big deal, we prefer not to take expensive chances with our transportation.

Reactions: RobBNC

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for your input. As mentioned, it is my mother's car and I am not totally familiar with the vehicle. I will be there later today and provide more info. I did speak to the dealer / service department and they are telling me that it is throwing codes P0733 and P0734. Furthermore, they are telling me that doing a complete Trans flush and trans fluid replacement may make it worse and would be a throwing $ away. However, putting $3,400 into a reman tranny with 54,000 very suspicious! I will get more particular and get back to you. Thank you.

·
Registered
3,014 Posts
Thank you for your input. As mentioned, it is my mother's car and I am not totally familiar with the vehicle. I will be there later today and provide more info. I did speak to the dealer / service department and they are telling me that it is throwing codes P0733 and P0734. Furthermore, they are telling me that doing a complete Trans flush and trans fluid replacement may make it worse and would be a throwing $ away. However, putting $3,400 into a reman tranny with 54,000 very suspicious! I will get more particular and get back to you. Thank you.
I would first change out the input and output speed sensors on the transmission before did anything else. And I would change the transmission oil too. The input and the output speed sensors have a good chance fixing your problem.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
John, Thank you for your advise. Is that a difficult change to make. I will check youtube now to see if I can find out.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you John. I will check youtube to see if I can find out how to do that. Can you shead light on the degree of difficulty and accessibility that is?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts