Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im not sure where to post this so if anyone can help out, that would be great!

I currently drive a 2006 Tucson with about 95k miles on it. We are still making payments on it and have a little over $5500 to pay it off.

My wife's boss mentioned that he would be selling his 2006 santa fe, and we are contemplating getting that and selling ours.

I am not sure which version the santa fe is yet, but it has about 150k miles on it. My wife said he would probably sell it for around $1000, but he just mentioned all this in passing. Once he gets his new car, he will give more information. And I just found out about this a couple hours ago.

Anyways, I am just wondering if it would be worth trying to sell the Tucson, pay off the rest of the loan, and purchase the santa fe (not all in that order, but close)... or keep the tucson and payments.

I havent had any problems with my car and I drive it about 5 miles a day for 6 days during the week.

The santa fe has been drive cross country a couple of times and is driven around a very high traffic area (DC), and has had the powertrain belt replaced recently.

Anyone of any suggestions on what would be a good way to go?

TL;DR - santa fe with 150k miles for $1000, or keep tucson with 95k miles and pay $5500 left?

·
Registered
846 Posts
If I were you, I'd hold on to the vehicle with 95K miles on it and pass on the vehicle with 150K miles.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Hi BusyPooping. We have a 2004 Santa Fe with 244,000 miles on it. It runs really great. We have been the original owner and have maintained it throughout it's life. If it has the 2.7 V6 engine, that is a solid engine that is relatively easy to maintain. Parts are cheap too from internet sites. So here is what would be replaced around the 150k mark. Replace the timing belt and water pump (w/ coolant) now, drain and refill the transmission fluid, and replace the spark plugs with iridium quality plugs. Replace all the wheel bearings and front axles around 200k. I did have to replace my valve cover gaskets and radiator around 220k and the coil pack at 235k. All under $100 each. The santa fe is a great car and easy to maintain. I would get the Santa Fe and keep the Tucson. We also have a 2005 Tucson but I prefer the Santa.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I just (2 weeks less a day) purchased a used 2006 Santa Fe GL 2.7L V6 with 270,000 Km (168,000 miles) for $2000 ($1600US). As I had a previous 2004 Sante Fe two years ago that (foolishly!) got rid of and sprang for a new leased vehicle (Toyota) which I decided to cut losses on and return, which is why I went with another Santa Fe.

Why did I buy one with such high mileage? The price. It was safety certified and therefore road-worthy and like Mudmanmike stated, I already knew it was easy and cheap to maintain. The 2004 version only cost me about $1500 overall in the many years I had it.

I'm liking the idea to go with a Santa Fe (the extra room is nice to have as well).

·
Registered
44 Posts
Assuming the Sta. Fe is still in really good condition, I'd probably get that and sell the Tucson (if you can't keep both).

Reason: I'd get a larger and more robust vehicle yet spend only about 20-27% (i.e. $1,200 to $1,500 for mods/improvements versus paying $5,500 for the Tucson). The bigger Sta. Fe could probably survive the road battering better than the smaller Tucson in the years ahead. I don't know about the gasoline cost comparison between the two so I'm just assuming the difference is negligible.

Anyway, let us know if you did swerve to New Mexico or just stayed in Arizona. :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts