Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dear All,

I have a 2006 santa fe, with 180K on it (been a great car). Bought a new santa fe as I am going to let my brother in law have the 2006 model; but it just started acting up. It would drive fine but then all the dashboard lights and gauges and tachometer would start to act up; so I assume it was not receiving a solid current stream. I then started to have difficult starting, then the battery went dead. I jump started it and it started fine, idled fine, then died. Battery is dated October 2014. So I am guessing the battery is too old and won't hold a charge from the alternator? Or the alternator has failed and is not sending any current to the battery. Do I gamble, pull the battery and buy a new one, install and hope the battery is the issue? Or do you think the alternator is the issue? Alternator is original. If I jump it again can I put a meter on it and see if I have voltage going to the battery? Any advice appreciated as I want to turn over a good car to the bro in law...thanks in advance, Reg​

·
Registered
8,156 Posts
My bet is the alternator. Get a voltmeter and check the battery voltage when the car is at a fast idle. Should be ~14v after starting.

·
Registered
505 Posts
Sounds like you need a new alternator and a new battery before you hand it off to anybody else. You will just kill the new battery if you don't change your alternator. Should cost around $200-$250 for both with you installing it.

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
Should cost around $200-$250 for both with you installing it.

We dont even know which engine is in this vehicle.........

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Absolutely do a voltage check before replacing parts.
BTW, my brother had a Midget.

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
Oooooooooh,, the old 2.7 trick... verify grounds free of paint between lug to connection point

2.7L,,,,,, verify cable end at alternator lug is not all overheated and fouled.. seen them melt jacket and exposure create a high resistance concern there,, voltage from alternator dont get down the line at it' source voltage being made, so we have volt drop and lack of charge current to power car and charge battery in proper fashion

·
Registered
505 Posts
Looks like both engine use the same size battery and alternator. 93+tax interstate costco, 125+tax AZ alternator. So my estimation is spot on.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts