Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't like how quiet the car is in stock (06 3.3L V6 Sonata) and was considering doing a muffler + resonator delete. I wish to pass emissions, inspection, and not have any trouble with the law (I'm in NY btw). I was hoping for it to come out with a nice sound, obviously louder but not obnoxiously loud (especially in high rpms since I tend to travel a bit in parkways/highways).

Was also wondering how much it would cost. Any tips/help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
4,260 Posts
Exhausts are funny things. Sometimes removing a resonator makes little or no difference at all other times it's causes serious vibrations through body panels etc. I am sure you can buy an off the shelf sports muffler which will usually be straight through withe fiberglass packing to absorb some noise. I fitted one to my Lancer. Flowmaster stainless steel. Great product. They still use baffles but it's the internal arrangement that makes them work so well. They don't make replacement ones so you will have to do a little plumbing to fit one. A muffler has no effect on exhaust emissions other than noise so if your regulations are emission testing I don't think noise will be an issue. Here in Aust the noise dosn't come into an annual registration check but exhaust leaks do. It's the Police and EPA that are concerned with noise and issue fines depending on the noise level above 90 decibels. The louder the noise the bigger the fine up to well over $1000.

·
Banned
7,039 Posts
I don't like how quiet the car is in stock (06 3.3L V6 Sonata) and was considering doing a muffler + resonator delete. I wish to pass emissions, inspection, and not have any trouble with the law (I'm in NY btw). I was hoping for it to come out with a nice sound, obviously louder but not obnoxiously loud (especially in high rpms since I tend to travel a bit in parkways/highways).

Was also wondering how much it would cost. Any tips/help would be greatly appreciated.
My tip is to enjoy the nice quite ride and so will all the old fogies you drive past.

·
Registered
2,063 Posts

I am not in NY so I can't chime in on the emssions thing...we dont have that here, but my setup (and a few others on here) have done the route you are curious about: 3rd cat delete / Resonator delete / but most I think swap to a different brand muffler. I Have heard muffler + resonator delete when I redid my exhaust...in my opinion it does not sound good.

Love my exhaust, exept the drone....5th gear drone's galore in the cabin.

My setup:
3rd cat delete
2.5" piping all the way (from 2.25 stock)
Resonator delete
Flowmaster original 40 series mufflers

I think most people on here with the Delta Flow 40 Series....mine is the original 40 series...apparently there is a difference. *sigh*
The original is louder and gets more drone on the inside for sure.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I am not in NY so I can't chime in on the emssions thing...we dont have that here, but my setup (and a few others on here) have done the route you are curious about: 3rd cat delete / Resonator delete / but most I think swap to a different brand muffler. I Have heard muffler + resonator delete when I redid my exhaust...in my opinion it does not sound good.

Love my exhaust, exept the drone....5th gear drone's galore in the cabin.

My setup:
3rd cat delete
2.5" piping all the way (from 2.25 stock)
Resonator delete
Flowmaster original 40 series mufflers

I think most people on here with the Delta Flow 40 Series....mine is the original 40 series...apparently there is a difference. sigh
The original is louder and gets more drone on the inside for sure.
He man can you link the places from where you got all the stuff

·
Registered
249 Posts
Thanks for the tips and vid. Can anyone find v33's vid with the Delta 40's? Is resonator delete necessary?

So far this is what I'm looking at

3rd cat delete
resonator delete
Delta 40's offset IN, Center OUT (2.5in/out piping? what Part #)
magnaflow y pipe 3" in 2.5" out $33
2.5in piping from front to back

1 - 7 of 7 Posts