Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone,

I checked lots of other threads and couldn't find something that fit my situation.

As the title suggests, my speedometer, odometer, gas gauge, and cruise control are not working correctly.

MY CAR:
  • 2006 Hyundai Elantra GLS

WHAT'S GOING ON:
  • Speedometer stuck at zero (never moves while driving, only during recalibration)
  • Odometer won't roll (ever)
  • Gas gauge is a little bouncy (needle bounces about a quarter tank)
  • Cruise light comes on when I press the button, but I can't set it.

SOME UNIQUE DETAILS:
  • I have the Torque app for Android (it's a Bluetooth OBDII sensor), and the app shows the speed from my ECU. This speed is accurate as it matches what's on my GPS. Because of this, I DON'T think the Vehicle Speed Sensor is the issue.
  • All cluster lights are working, EXCEPT for the Odometer backlight
  • All gauges/meters are getting power. By plugging/unplugging the cluster, I made the speedometer and tachometer recalibrate (which makes the needles move)

HOW I'VE TRIED TO FIX IT:
  • unplugging/replugging the cluster
  • checking OBDII codes

MY PRECONCEPTIONS:
  • All gauges have power
  • The VSS is working

Thanks for your help, everyone!

Sincerely,
JW

·
Registered
Drives : Nissan NV200 Flies : Rans S6ES
15,277 Posts
The VSS is working
It doesn't sound like your problem is with the VSS given the other symptoms but just be aware that there are usually more than one VSS on Hyundai cars and the engine ECU and instrument cluster usually get their speed data from two different sources. It's not unusual to see a working vehicle speed signal on the scan tool data list when the VSS that drives the instrument cluster has failed.

·
Registered
Drives : Nissan NV200 Flies : Rans S6ES
15,277 Posts
No, it wont effect the fuel gauge but it can cause all the other symptoms.

The VSS is on top of the gearbox at the rear of the engine bay, just forward of the engine bay bulkhead, and has a three terminal connector. Disconnect the sensor and (with the ignition on) measure the voltages on the three terminals of the harness connector. You should have a 12V power supply, a lower voltage on the signal wire (10~11V, I think), and a ground (0V). If your voltages are correct, You likely have a faulty VSS.

VSS fits into the gearbox and is driven by a plastic gear. Don't confuse the VSS with the auto transmission input/output speed sensors, which are proximity sensors...no gear.

Typical Hyundai VSS

Input/Output Speed sensor

1 - 4 of 4 Posts