Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got a used 2006 Elantra 5-speed and was wondering what the "typical" life of the clutch might be.
I understand that it depends upon driving style, but I'm just looking for an average.

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
You answered your own question in most respects.

Something that will help is to remove the hydraulic line from the slave, and remove the 3 inger metal thing you see in the bore there along with the spring. This will allow the release to follow the pedal 1 to 1..

We see used clutches from couple week after purchase (never drove M/T before) to upward of 100,000 (somebody that has excellent left and right foot co-ordination...

My daily driver is at 322,400+ on the factory installed clutch assembly, other car at 178,000+, it getting ready, not slipping yet (wifes secondary vehicle)

·
Registered
3 Posts
QUOTE (enchi-08 @ May 22 2010, 02:22 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=325357
I just got a used 2006 Elantra 5-speed and was wondering what the "typical" life of the clutch might be.
I understand that it depends upon driving style, but I'm just looking for an average.

I have a 2005, and I have had to replace the clutch 3 times already, and working on the 4th this weekend.

·
Registered
2 Posts
We have a 2004 Hyundai Elantra and are in need of a 4th clutch.
This is ridiculous. Clutches are expensive and the dealers are inclined to blame drivers methods.
I kept inquiring with the dealer about what other possible causes for clutch failure exist or what other mechanism in the car could be causing the clutch to repeatedly fail, but again, they kept saying that it was most likely driver inflicted.
My husband and I have been driving stick shifts for two decades and have never needed clutch replacements on other cars--including my cheap 1998 Plymouth Neon which is still servicing with its original clutch.

At this point, I am interested in seeing who else is having similar problems and may be interested in starting a class action lawsuit.

·
Registered
4,851 Posts
I think a lot of clutch problems are caused by the hydraulic system getting gunked up and hanging up. A lot of times the clutch won't disengage and makes the clutch slip when the disk itself is still ok. It's really important to bleed the clutch and replace the fluid so this doesn't happen. Most people never do it.

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
QUOTE (jsinton @ May 31 2010, 08:56 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=328266
I think a lot of clutch problems are caused by the hydraulic system getting gunked up and hanging up. A lot of times the clutch won't disengage and makes the clutch slip when the disk itself is still ok. It's really important to bleed the clutch and replace the fluid so this doesn't happen. Most people never do it.

What he says... clean fluid will not foul.

My current daily driver has 323,200+ miles, still OE clutch master, and brake master.. only replaced 1 slave, that was last year, heat baked it (bolted right onto bellhousing adjacent to exhaust).. I flush the fluid every 2yr when fluid turns orange.

On the Elantra and Tiburon,,,,,,,,,,,,, unbolt the hydraulic hose from the slave, and lose the spring and steel plate thingy there.. it slows the release of the clutch, effectively allowing it slip as it engages...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts