Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2008 V6 Sonata GLS
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I’ve been perusing old forum threads about mods for the NF sonata. About 10 years ago V33 had done an azera intake manifold swap onto the sonata. He mentioned using the 2008 azera 3.8’s intake and fuel rail, I’ll link the thread below. There’s a good bit of information within and I’m confident that if I attempt it and run into any issues with the installations my friends who are smarter than me can bail me out. This would be my first crack at engine mods.

So does anyone know if a 2006 azera would work? There’s one at my local junkyard. I know It also had the 3.8 engine in it, but I’m not clear on whether it has the aluminum one they used or a plastic one. I’m planning on taking a drive over myself and checking it out but I’d rather know ahead of time if it would fit before I go do all that work and pay for it.

As well, is this truly as “simple” as swapping the various parts in and tracking down any codes? Should I be concerned about anything in the long term if I do this? Unfortunately to my knowledge everybody whose done this mod is long gone, so I don’t know who to ask.

Anything you can tell me about accomplishing this, any other things I should add as well, or any reasons I should NOT do this at all, would be greatly appreciated. Please, don’t hold anything back!

As always, thanks in advance to anybody who may be able to help. If everything checks out and I go ahead and do it, I will update with any relevant information.

·
Registered
2010 Sonata GLS 2.4, 2010 Santa Fe Sport 3.5
36 Posts
It seems like a significant expense and effort for limited gain (sounds better and 13 HP at the wheel). Also, it looks like stock has more torque and HP up to 4K, which is where you will spend most of your time driving. If this is your daily driver I wouldn't mess with it. If it is an extra car and you want to learn and enjoy the work and have the money, go for it. You can always go back to stock if it doesn't work out. You aren't going to learn any younger (as my grandfather would say). If you want a four door sports car, I would start saving money to buy one. I don't think the Sonata is it.

·
Registered
2008 V6 Sonata GLS
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It seems like a significant expense and effort for limited gain (sounds better and 13 HP at the wheel). Also, it looks like stock has more torque and HP up to 4K, which is where you will spend most of your time driving. If this is your daily driver I wouldn't mess with it. If it is an extra car and you want to learn and enjoy the work and have the money, go for it. You can always go back to stock if it doesn't work out. You aren't going to learn any younger (as my grandfather would say). If you want a four door sports car, I would start saving money to buy one. I don't think the Sonata is it.

Fair points, it is indeed my daily driver. I have no shortage of time to learn either as far as I know… the love for my car just gets the best of me sometimes. I’ll keep saving my money for now.

Also, I like that quote from your grandfather. He sounds like a smart man.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts