Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was driving my 2006 hyundai accent gs a few days ago, and it stopped starting. It has the 1.6L DOHC engine with only 35k miles. It turns over good, but will not start. I have tried to troubleshoot the problem, but have had zero luck. I have only owned the car for a little over a month, and it has been a very big headache. To begin, there was a wire running from the cigaret lighter fuse, to the engine fan, so that it engaged once the ignition was turned on, to bypass the sensor for it. That wire started smoking a few days before the problem started. The car did run for a few days after the wire smoked and was pulled out. Ive done some research, and I believe the computer for the car is tied to the cigaret lighter fuse somehow, and could be affected. something else that makes me lean towards the direction of the computer issue is the fuel pump. it no longer engages when i turn the ignition on, however, I can trigger it on manually through the relay, so i know it is good. There is also no spark anymore. with all of these problems occuring at the same time, im thinking its the computer. Im trying to locate this computer to diagnose this. Is it the same computer as the tcm under the hood? or is there a computer that runs these units under the dash? any ideas would be really appreciated. Thank you in advance for any help

·
Registered
Drives : Nissan NV200 Flies : Rans S6ES
14,631 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

Before going digging into the engine computer there are a few simple things to check first. First of all, does the engine check light come on when you turn the ignition on? Have you checked ALL the fuses. Pay particular attention to any fuses marked ECU, SNSR or INJ. The best way to check fuses is to use a 12V test lamp and make sure the bulb lights when the probe of the lamp is touched onto each side of the fuse. Some fuses wont have power on either end and that's normal but you shouldn't have any fuses with power on only one end.

If all your fuses are OK, you might have a faulty crankshaft position sensor. The crank sensor is what tells the computer the engine is running. If the computer doesn't see a signal from the crank sensor it wont switch on the fuel pump relay or fire the ignition coils & fuel injectors.

Regards.

Scottie.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts