Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 102 Posts

·
supporting vendor
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
As the title states, there has been a recall due to possible corrossion problems with the right front axle. The recall involves model year 2006 to 2010 Sonata sedans made from March 1, 2005 to Jan. 21, 2010.

Even if you believe your vehicle does not fit these descriptions, it should be looked at and verified!

Call your local dealer to find out detailed information and whether or not you may/may not need the car to be serviced!

Link to an article with some information

·
Registered
442 Posts
Thank u

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
As the title states, there has been a recall due to possible corrossion problems with the right front axle. The recall involves model year 2006 to 2010 Sonata sedans made from March 1, 2005 to Jan. 21, 2010.

Link to an article with some information
Actually the recall regarding the right front axle is for Hyundai Santa Fe Sport model year 2013 and Kia Motors Corp model year 2014 Sorrento crossover vehicles.

The recall for the Sonatas/Azeras is regarding a cold weather corrosion issue that can cause rear wheel misalignment and only impacts vehicles registered in 20 states and DC.

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
Hyundai has sent notice to dealers of ----upcoming---- recalls yesterday...

Not officially released yet as to what is to be done, that will take time to print instructions, and get parts made and put into system for circulation to dealers.. dealer right now will likely find nothing open WEBDCS for applicable recall at this time as to VIN being applicable for recall

·
Registered
8 Posts
I recently took my 2006 Sonata in for tires and got an alignment done. The mechanic said that he couldn't get the rear alignment right because on of the control arms was frozen. I'm in upstate NY so I figure that the car will fall under the recall (hopefully - I was going to replace the control arms myself, but hopefully, the dealership will now be doing it).

I am concerned about tire wear, though. Any ideas on how much wear this is putting on the tires or how quickly do I need to fix this before I screw up the new tires? :confused:

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
I recently took my 2006 Sonata in for tires and got an alignment done. The mechanic said that he couldn't get the rear alignment right because on of the control arms was frozen. I'm in upstate NY so I figure that the car will fall under the recall (hopefully - I was going to replace the control arms myself, but hopefully, the dealership will now be doing it).

I am concerned about tire wear, though. Any ideas on how much wear this is putting on the tires or how quickly do I need to fix this before I screw up the new tires? :confused:

Tire wear is dependent on what the align numbers currently sitting at...

Got copy of your alignment numbers as finished product ?

·
Registered
56 Posts
Hope this covers the Great White North too eh

Would explain the cupping on my rear tires
I went to look on the Transport Canada website. Looks like 06-10 Sonatas are all covered under that recall... I will call the dealer this week to discuss:

Transport Canada Recall # 2013280

Recall Date 2013/08/12
Notification Type Safety Mfr
System Structure
Manufacturer Recall Number R0081
Units Affected 52,317
Category Car

Recall Details

On certain vehicles, road salt can corrode the rear crossmember assembly, which may ultimately lead to separation of the control arm at the mounting point. This would allow the wheel to rotate off its designed axis, and could result in a loss of vehicle control and a crash causing property damage and/or personal injury. Correction: Dealers will repair or replace the rear crossmember assembly.

Make Model Model Year(s) Affected
HYUNDAI AZERA 2006 2007 2008 2009
HYUNDAI SONATA 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010

·
Registered
184 Posts
Hyundai Canada said 2006 Sonata is not included..I have to pay for inspection...if there is rust..then it may be covered...otherwise...sounds like your life is on your own..

·
Registered
8 Posts
Tire wear is dependent on what the align numbers currently sitting at...

Got copy of your alignment numbers as finished product ?
I don't have the align numbers but I went out and looked at the tires. I haven't really look closely because they only have about 7K miles on them. After checking, the right rear tire is SHOT already. :mad: I had four new tires put on at the time and got an alignment. The guy who did the work (at Sears) told me that "I couldn't get your rear alignment completely right because the control arm was frozen." I asked him "What do I need to do?" and he responded "Replace the control arm I guess." I asked him, how bad is this and he said "the tire will wear more." I would have thought he would have said something like "you need to get this fixed pronto or it will kill you new tires" because the freaking tire wore out in 7K miles. The tire is worn to the point that it is almost smooth at the worst spots.

Even if the control arm is Hyundai's fault, I think that the guy at Sears should have told me that this will ruin my tire in no time and that I should get it replaced after doing the alignment. After I replace the control arm(s), I think that Sears should give me some sort of compensation on another tire. Thoughts?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Hyundai Canada said 2006 Sonata is not included..I have to pay for inspection...if there is rust..then it may be covered...otherwise...sounds like your life is on your own..
Pay for your own inspection? But if they find a problem it may be covered? That doesn't sound right. 2006 Sonata is clearly listed on the recall.

Road Safety Recalls Database.

How did you contact Hyundai Canada? Get anything in writing?

·
Registered
184 Posts
spoke to a lady from hyundai canada recall section..she checked her computer with my vin.
no rust recall for any sonata according to her...not just mine...

there one other recall that I had never received a letter from them..so she said she is sending it out..address is correct..look like you may not get notification ...all canadian hyundai owners should call to ensure..

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi All, I got the below from Los Angeles Times:

Hyundai is recalling about 239,000 Sonata and Azera sedans because the rear suspensions in the cars can rust and fail.
The South Korean automaker also will recall 20,300 Santa Fe Sport SUVs from the 2013 model year because a manufacturing flaw could cause the right front axle shaft to fracture.
The first recall includes 2006-2010 model year Sonatas and 2006-2011 Azera vehicles.
Hyundai is focusing on cars originally sold in, or currently registered in, Connecticut, Delaware, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, Vermont, West Virginia, Wisconsin and the District of Columbia.
It said road salt and water can enter portions of the rear crossmember – a portion of the vehicle’s frame - leading to corrosion and the possible detachment of one of the rear control arms. That would suddenly change the rear wheel alignment, affecting the handling of the vehicle and increasing the risk of a crash.
The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration launched a probe into corrosion issues in March after hearing complaints that the rear suspension frames on some Sonatas can rust and fail.
In documents on its website, the NHTSA said it had received six complaints of suspension failures. Three of the cases involved failures at highway speeds, but no crashes or injuries were reported.
In one case, the owner of a 2006 Sonata reported a loss of control in the rear wheels, which triggered the car's electronic stability control system.
Hyundai will ask owners of the vehicles to take the cars back to dealers for repairs. Hyundai customers with questions can contact the automaker at (734) 337-9499.

·
Registered
1 Posts
my 2006 hyundai sonata will not go into reverse -- i put in reverse but will not move back. It also has a problem shift from 1 to 2nd stays in 3rd all the time. it is an automatic. do you think it is transmission or sensor

·
Registered
184 Posts
my 2006 hyundai sonata will not go into reverse -- i put in reverse but will not move back. It also has a problem shift from 1 to 2nd stays in 3rd all the time. it is an automatic. do you think it is transmission or sensor
This thread is about the recall. I suggest you post a NEW thread about your transmission problem if you expect to get a response.

1 - 20 of 102 Posts