Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

i'd like to buy a 2006 CRDi Sonata, and I found a regularly maintained one with 157,000km on it (a lot of it on highways). They used 5w30 oil. Can anyone tell me, how many more kilometers can one expect from this engine (incl. turbo)? And what are some of the common problems that may occur?

P.S. Until now I drove a 1996 VW Golf 1.9 TDI and made 465,000km on it. Then it started drinking too much oil, needing a full engine overhaul, so I sold it for spare parts. I'd be very happy if the Sonata could come even close to these kilometers!

·
Registered
2,204 Posts
For those of us in the US stuck with the English system, that's 288,938 miles ... impressive in ANY system. I'd love to drive a 2.0 CRDI Sonata but they're not available in the US.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So, this is a mostly US-based forum so not much diesel info? :(

But anyway, I bought the car! :D
Made a 500 km trip as well and it runs great...

Dennis, so you'd still like to try a diesel Sonata, even though your gasoline (3.3L) car is much more powerful?
I bought a diesel again because of better economy and hopefully better endurance - guess I'm sort of a diesel head :)

·
Registered
2,204 Posts
Yes to the diesel. My 3.3L is somewhat overpowered for the kind of driving I do. I'd gladly trade power for fuel economy. When it comes time to replace my Sonata I'll probably downsize to an Elantra or Forte.

I'm curious: how is diesel availability where you are? Most Americans subscribe to a list of stations that sell diesel.

Good luck with your diesel!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks! I need it to close the distance between my better half and myself, because we currently work in different cities. The Sonata eats the 400 km of freeway (here - Autobahn) in between definitely with more ease and comfort than the Golf (although I loved that car too - and it was also good for long drives).

If I had a gasoline Sonata, it'd be the 2.4L, because I don't know what I'd do with an even more powerful engine like the 3.3. This isn't Germany, where there are no speed limits on some Autobahns... :grin:

Btw. i just looked out the window, and 75% of cars that passed were either Volkswagen, BMW or Audi. And I guess 75% of them are also diesel. Hence, here there is diesel at every gas station, priced at about $1.8/L (similar to gas).

·
Registered
5 Posts
I bought my '06 Sonata CRDI with 75000Km's in July 2011.
Now has 136000Km's, only problem so far was dodgey cable between alternator to fuse box, replaced myself with heavy duty cable.
I buy genuine filters from agents and service myself.
Most important is engine oil, must be Acea A3 rated, or else particulate filter clogs up. I've been useing Total Ineo, every 15000Km's, so far all good!
Awesome car to drive, Diesel power and fuel economy are winners.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts