Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Seeking an image of the actual connector without issues. Have had abs, tcs lights on for months. Checked everything to tone wheels, speed sensors operate normally when checked via voltmeter. The lights however did disappear after I changed the breaks. 200 mile drive they reappeared. Have had it into the dealership for testing, but they just want to replace the ABS control module without checking wiring. Alot of the Hyundai manual says to troubleshoot wiring before HECU replacement. Looks like pins are folded or damaged in the connector to me. Pins 1, and 5 are left speed sensors front/rear. 13, and 14 I believe run to diagnostic.

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
Clean the tone wheels and remove any metal shavings and rust from the sensors.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Clean the tone wheels and remove any metal shavings and rust from the sensors.
Done all that including air gap measurement. Tested resistance, volts, and did oscillation check. All show normal working conditions. Why I believe the harness could be creating a bad contact. I can test the holes with a meter, and they work, but with a needle probe to reach. Why I'm curious for an opinion on the pins.

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
Are you sure the pin contacts are clean and tight? Pin tension can be a problem.

·
Registered
Drives : Nissan NV200 Flies : Rans S6ES
14,349 Posts
Looks like pins are folded or damaged in the connector to me.
Really? I'm not seeing that. Nothing in your photo looks off to me.
But you can't really tell if a connector is good just by looking. What us AUTOSPARKs do when we're checking a connector is use the appropriate male terminal as a feeler gauge. We insert it into each cavity on the connector to make sure that all the female terminals are applying the same amount of tension to the male. Sometimes a female terminal will loose it's spring tension causing the connection between the male & female terminals to make and break with the vibrations of driving.

Can you tell us what trouble codes are being logged?

If I helped you fix it, why not...

Your support is greatly appreciated

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Seeing the other pins is my guess on issues. Assuming they should all look similar is my curiosity. If not engine vibration could cause incomplete connectivity. Been working with an a guy who's done electrical engineering for 40+ years. Essentially I need to know if this is normal for this connector. Throws multiple codes, but if this connector is bad it will happen. Had wheel speed sensor codes, Communication codes etc.... just a cluster. I'd normally agree on a new abs power control module. Just the work wasn't done to properly diagnose failure. No motor failure codes on it. Just a shitty mechanic not willing to put work into the wiring diagnostic. Honestly don't blame them with the look of schematics. Spent a month reviewing wiring schematics just for this car. ABS wiring runs through so many points. Hence why I'm finally at this connector. Is the normal operation of this connector have these pins pushed in?

If so I'm going to replace the abs control module. Though the connector seems wrong to me. Why I need the answer to the pins being bad. I honestly would prefer not to redo this connector, but it seems bad. Can clearly see difference in 1,5,13,14 than other pins.

·
Registered
3,639 Posts
Not all manufacturers populate all the positions in a socket. Another car maybe but it's possible there never was a wire/terminal there. You need to go back to your wiring diagram.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I know pin 1, 5 go to abs wheel sensors on the left side of the car. Had the manual for it it. With a probe I can confirm the same with a voltmeter. Unpluging said speed sensors they go dead. Just I have to use a thin probe to reach in. The male pins are long, but the understanding of connection is the issue. Just seems a waste of 1.7k with out true diagnostic. Think it's worth repining? Not my car honestly just helping my family since they can't afford to keep paying for parts on this death trap. Replaced valve covers, AC pump, and more on it. Hate this car, but worth it for them.

·
Registered
3,639 Posts
Hyundai manual says to troubleshoot wiring before HECU replacement
That's common sense to test and inspect before diving into the deep end of someones wallet and most likely throwing the money away. You still haven't said what code you got.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
That's common sense to test and inspect before diving into the deep end of someones wallet and most likely throwing the money away. You still haven't said what code you got.
Don't have the print out anymore. Tried to get it. It's not my vehicle it's my grandmother's. Just know it was throwing random codes via ABS from sensors to no communication. Wish I could give them. But regardless the tech manuals state to do the wiring diagnostic before HECU replacement. Why Im running around these connectors sadly without Hyundai's help. It's alot of overwhelming technical data to test it manually. From ABS fuse link to sensors... this is the last step I have come to before replacing the module. Doesn't look right to me with my experience in connectors. Though came across some that where just weird. Essentially should I repin it, and try it?

·
Registered
14,349 Posts
Compared to others this seems wrong.
That looks like an empty cavity too me.

Compared to pin 2
That is a populated cavity.

Method said:
Though pin 5 looks gone
Another empty cavity.

All pins connect to something suprisingly.
But, as chalescrown says, not every cavity on the connector has a pin installed in it.
You should remove the plastic cover off the back of the connector to expose the wires. I'm sure you'll find that the pins that you think don't look right are ones with no wire on the other side of the connector.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
That looks like an empty cavity too me.

That is a populated cavity.

Another empty cavity.

But, as chalescrown says, not every cavity on the connector has a pin installed in it.
You should remove the plastic cover off the back of the connector to expose the wires. I'm sure you'll find that the pins that you think don't look right are ones with no wire on the other side of the connector.

Each should have a pin, but the type of pin is in question. All have wires in each port, and I'm just going to repin it. If it fails then I'll for sure know HECU failure. Least it's easy to get to. When I go to do it I'll try to keep the thread updated if it's a normal pins. Sure someone might run into this down the road.

·
Registered
14,349 Posts
Each should have a pin...All have wires in each port
Sorry, but that is incorrect.
I just checked the diagram for this circuit and there are only 21 wires, so there will only be 21 populated cavities on the connector.
25 cavities total, 21 of which are populated leaves 4 empty.

Method said:
Can clearly see difference in 1,5,13,14 than other pins.
And you see four cavities that look different from all the others. I doubt that is just coincidence.

And this highlights another problem you have. Your confused about how the connector cavities are numbered. 1, 5, 13, & 14 are not the ones that look different/empty. It actually 12, 13, 17 & 21...see below.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Well I'm honestly dyslexic. Though my question now is when I tested those holes just now. Zero current should be there? Cause I have current in them. Must of got it turned around in my head last night thinking about it. That's my bad I hope it's laughable lol

Regarding the ABS control module. It is part #58920-39200 though is it true I can use this pump aswell? 95660-39400

Going to see if I can get one that's rebuilt.

·
Registered
14,349 Posts
Regarding the ABS control module. It is part #58920-39200 though is it true I can use this pump aswell? 95660-39400
58920-39200 is the part number of the electronic control module. 95660-39400 is the part number of the hydraulic module. That's two completely different parts.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts