Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im hoping to get a little insight from you guys as to how to proceed with this problem. I recently bought a used '05 Tucson CRDI 2.0 with around 54,000 kms on it. I took it to its scheduled service to the dealer and pointed out that there was a lot of black/blue smoke coming out when i accelerated further (i.e. to advance another car) while driving.

Turns out their diagnostic is low compressions on the engine. They say compressions should be around 300 psi and the reading came out at 260- 262-259-257 . Their solution is basiclly charging me for an overhaul to "check what the problem is beacuase theres something wrong with the engine"

I've read a few about the compressions online but being a bit unfamiliar on how the engine actually works and what the solutions to low compressions are, I would like your opinions on what to do- how serious a problem is this really? are there other less expensive solutions or tests that can be made to figure out the problem? do additives or other products help?

The guy at the dealer even said I could keep on running it like this if I didn't mind the smoke and the low power...

Any feedback is greatly appreciated!!!

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
I'm not very familiar with diesel engines, but the first thing I think of is change the oil and filter. Use good quality oil. If the oil control rings on the pistons are gunked up an sticking, that may clean them off and restore compression.

Just my 2 cents' worth. Maybe a diesel engine expert will have another idea.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply! Ive donde this actually but the smoke keeps on coming... gonna give it a little time and see what happens

·
Registered
29 Posts
I am not an expert on the Tucson Diesel but I had Diesel engines before and Black smoke Always meant too much fuel in the engine to burn. Black smoke always happened if the engine was cold and you stepped on the throttle or if you modified the engine in some way to increase the fuel to the combustion chamber (Oversized injectors..... Flashed the ECU).

With a diesel, unlike a Gas engine, More fuel = More power so where this is a used car I would check to see if the previous owner has modified it in anyway.

Hope this helps

Fliehigh

1 - 4 of 4 Posts