Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi.
The battery and brake lights on the dash came on,eventually went off, and the next time I started the car came on and stayed on. Three checks of the electrical system, one specifically of the alternator with it removed from the car, showed the alternator was bad. Replaced it and checked the system. showing proper voltage both running and not running. However, the lights are still on. Is there a reset that I didn't do, or is there still a problem? If I drive it with these lights on is it going to damage the alternator or anything else?
Thanks for any help and advice.
David

·
Registered
Drives : Nissan NV200 Flies : Rans S6ES
14,316 Posts
Welcome to the forum, David.

I'd say you have a problem with the alternator warning light circuit. The battery & brake warning lights are linked inside the instrument cluster so when the battery light switches on, it also brings on the brake warning too.

The first thing I'd advise you do is unplug the two terminal connector on the back of the alternator. Switch the ignition on and see if the battery light has gone off. The brake warning should stay on if the parking brake is applied. If the light goes off with the alternator unplugged that suggests there is a fault with the alternator since that's what controls the battery light.

Regards.

Scottie.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Scottie. I'll give that a try. The alternator is new, and I had it checked prior to installing it, so I know it was good then. Would it be ok to drive with these lights on if the problem is in the warning circuit? I don't want to burn up a new alternator if I can keep from it.

Any other suggestions if this isn't the problem?

Thanks David

·
Registered
14,316 Posts
It's a little strange that you got the alternator tested because the warning light came on and it was found to be faulty, but replacing the unit didn't fix the problem with the warning light. Does that mean there is a short on the warning light wire? If that was the case, the damage would probably already be done to the new alternator I'm afraid. A dead short on the warning light wire would probably damage the exciter diodes as soon as the alternator started to charge.

Anyway, I'm sure that wont be the case. Another thing you should check while you have that two terminal plug off the alternator is that one of the terminals ("S" terminal - red wire, I think) has 12V with the ignition switch off. Maybe if that 12V is missing that could cause the battery warning to switch on.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've checked this morning and everything seems to be working fine. I used an OBD II reader and no codes came up. Everything showed pass. I removed the negative cable for about 30 seconds to see if that would reset the lights but it didn't.

·
Registered
14,316 Posts
I've checked this morning and everything seems to be working fine.
What happened to the warning lamp when you disconnected the alternator plug. Did you confirm there was 12V on the battery sense wire?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts