Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
13,346 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I ran across a 2005 Tiburon yesterday. Not bad, owner says it needs a clutch. It did 'pop' out of gear when I tried to shift it, but a couple pumps on the pedal and it shifted smoothly. I didn't drive it.

It ran smoothly, there was a little bit of chatter in the engine, typically found in some Toyotas with more miles than that (uh, 118000), but they go another hundred thou or so when that happens.

Overall condition is good. There's a dent where a shopping cart hit it, doesn't look like it had body work; if it has been hit then whoever put it back together didn't cut corners.

Interior is a bit better than fair. Usual wear on the seats and carpets, but doors hatch and hood open well and close soundly.

So, it is a 2005, 118,000 miles, black (not my favourite), red piping on the leather seats, 6-speed transmission, and a 3.3 turbo 6.

Anyone offer any pros/cons?

I actually considered selling the Supra to buy it.

·
Registered
13,346 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I think I figured out why it's $1000 less then book....

The Tiburon 2.7 Delta engine can be found in the following vehicles:

Hyundai Sonata 2002-2005
Hyundai Santa Fe 2001-present
Hyundai Tucson 2005-present
Kia Optima- 2001-present, although the engine included in the 2006.5 and above is a variant
called the 2.7 Mu, which puts out an extra 15 horsepower for the same displacement
Kia Sportage 2005-present

The Hyundai 3.3L v6 Lambda engine can be found in the following vehicles:
(suitable swap for the Tiburon, although not a drop-in mod to my knowledge like the 3.5)

·
Registered
898 Posts
3.3 turbo 6 sounds like it would be hard to work on and could need a lot of repairs. The engine chatter would bother me, that's a warning sign. But if the price is right it could be a good car, you know a lot about cars so you can make the call. What happened to the Elantra Touring? To me that sounded like something get excited about. Good luck :)

·
Registered
13,346 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
3.3 turbo 6 sounds like it would be hard to work on and could need a lot of repairs. The engine chatter would bother me, that's a warning sign. But if the price is right it could be a good car, you know a lot about cars so you can make the call. What happened to the Elantra Touring? To me that sounded like something get excited about. Good luck :)

If I can find the thread, I'll link to it.

It appears the engine in 2011-2012 Elantras had a problem and if I read it right srb711 said Hyundai is no longer carrying the engine! I don't know how that happened, unless they used up all the spares fixing warranty issues.

Now, if something happened I could always throw another engine into it, but at ~$12,000 I'd be making payments AND paying to install an engine. I'd go $5,000 more, get a 2016 Elantra GT and when the engine blows in 75,000 miles have Hyundai replace it. ;)

I would have really liked it, and maybe I read the post wrong, but when I read it that made up my mind about the Touring. :(

·
Registered
13,346 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Beuller? Beuller?

Ain't anyone got a Tibby here?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts