Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am new to this forum, first post. I own two Hyundai Sonatas, 2005 and a 2009. My 2005 2.4 V6 has 84,000 miles on it and runs like a chanp--really like this car and it has cost me little in repairs and maintenance. Until today when I had to replace the timing belt at a cost of $600 bucks. So I am suddenly questioning my experience and loyalty to Hyundai. Is this belt replacement issue at every 60,000 miles just a way of keeping their dealers and service centers in business? you can buy tires all around that will outlast the belt for less money. Why doesn't Hyundai use a chain with a lifespan at least triple that of a belt? What's your experience and what do you think?

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
Hi and :00000732: to the forums.

This was a good point for me when I bought my little i10......... a timing chain :thumbsup: :banana:

·
Registered
4,851 Posts
There is no 2.4L V6. Be sure you understand that, it's really important if you DIY.

Timing belt at 60k is pretty standard. My old Volvo was 50k. Some cars are 30k or 25k.

Learn how to do it yourself and save big $$$$ like I do. Just did mine with a $10 belt off eBay. It took four hours with smoke and coffee breaks, not ever doing this car before.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/99-05-HYUND...s#ht_2065wt_752

Your's is a little more involved. It has one of those tensioners that it's recommended to replace, not to mention the balance shaft belt... assuming you have the 2.4L I4.

Your 2009 has a timing chain, doesn't it?

Attachments

·
Registered
2 Posts
Wow... every 60k? That does seem excessive. Even more often, excessive. Even my Neon only needed the belt replaced every 100k.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I replaced mine every 70k as I have done with every car I've ever owned. I have never had any costly repairs with my 05 sonota

1 - 5 of 5 Posts