Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All,
I'm Vinnie V. and I own a 2005 sonata 6cyl that I have liked for about 50,000 miles as a second owner.
Recently I had a stereo shop install a new stereo, door speakers, rear speakers , one sub w/cabinet , a capacitor , and an amp. Before I handed my keys over to them ,I specifically requested "Please do not open the sunroof (it doesn't close due to a bad rocker switch). They called me said the car was ready. When I picked up my car I noticed the sunroof was wide open. I mentioned the fact but figured I could manually crank it closed at home, as I had done once before. [Previously: The sunroof control switch would open the sunroof but not close it]
Well not only could I not manually turn the sunroof motor to close with an allen wrench ( it sounds like the plastic gears when they are stripped) but I also noticed my turn signals & hazards dont work anymore. No clicking sound and no flashing
lights. So ,I checked the two fuses (hazards & t/signals) located under the s/wheel in the cabin both ok. I replaced the relay flasher (with one from Autozone ) on a separate panel, under the driver's side dash, inside the cabin, I inspected my t/signal bulbs......I got nothing and I cant enjoy my AC because my sunroof is still open! please advise .....

Thank You!
Sincerely Vinnie V.

·
Registered
Drives : Nissan NV200 Flies : Rans S6ES
14,720 Posts
Welcome aboard, Vinnie.

My advice is take it back to the shop who installed the sound system and tell them your turn sigs/hazards have stopped working since they done the installation. And personally, I wouldn't even have accepted the car back with the sunroof open after having specifically told them not to open it.

If I helped you fix it, why not...

Your support is greatly appreciated

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Welcome aboard, Vinnie.

My advice is take it back to the shop who installed the sound system and tell them your turn sigs/hazards have stopped working since they done the installation. And personally, I wouldn't even have accepted the car back with the sunroof open after having specifically told them not to open it.

Autospark,

Thank you for your reply, you know I could have done just that but once I realized the quality of work

they were used to providing, I thought I would probably be better off never letting them work on anything of mine again!

After all I had manually closed the sunroof before so I thought no biggy,

but I didnt anticipate the t/sig & hazards not working and didnt find out for 3 or 4 days after they finished.

Question: How many relays control the t/sig & hazards 1 or more? because I have only replaced

the bottom relay on the panel below the dash and to the left of the drivers brake pedal.

Thought I might somehow test the relay I pulled out of the car tonight to eliminate some possibilities perhaps.

Thanks for your help

Vinnie V.

·
Registered
14,720 Posts
Question: How many relays control the t/sig & hazards 1 or more? because I have only replaced the bottom relay on the panel below the dash and to the left of the drivers brake pedal.
There is just the one relay. I don't know where it's located off the top off my head but the turn sig relay is different from all the others because it only has 3 terminals.

Vinnie V said:
Thought I might somehow test the relay I pulled out of the car tonight to eliminate some possibilities perhaps.
It's easier to test the wiring on the car than the relay. If the wiring is good you can feel pretty confident that the relay is not.
If you take the original Hyundai relay and look at the markings on the base you should see a letter next to each terminal :
  • B = Battery (12V Supply)
  • E = Earth (Ground)
  • L = Lamp (Yeah, connects to the lamps...via the turn sig switch)
To test the wiring on the car all you need is a short length of wire.
Bare an inch of insulation from each end of the wire then push one end into the 'B' terminal of the relay socket behind the dash.
Push the other end into the 'L' terminal on the socket. So you've linked the 12V power supply to the lamps.
Now switch the ignition on and operate the stalk switch left & right. The turn signal lamps should switch on constantly when you operate the switch.

If the lamps don't switch on you should use a voltmeter or test light to check that there is 12V on the 'B' terminal. I suspect there wont be.

Where is the hazard switch located on your car? Is it beside the radio by any chance?
Given what you've said about the quality of work the installation shop turn out, here is what I suspect has happened. I'll bet you a cup of coffee that they have removed the center dash panel while installing the radio and when they refitted it they have left the hazard switch unplugged. If you find no power on the 'B' terminal I suggest you check the hazard switch connector next. Let me know what you find.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
There is just the one relay. I don't know where it's located off the top off my head but the turn sig relay is different from all the others because it only has 3 terminals.

It's easier to test the wiring on the car than the relay. If the wiring is good you can feel pretty confident that the relay is not.
If you take the original Hyundai relay and look at the markings on the base you should see a letter next to each terminal :
  • B = Battery (12V Supply)
  • E = Earth (Ground)
  • L = Lamp (Yeah, connects to the lamps...via the turn sig switch)
To test the wiring on the car all you need is a short length of wire.
Bare an inch of insulation from each end of the wire then push one end into the 'B' terminal of the relay socket behind the dash.
Push the other end into the 'L' terminal on the socket. So you've linked the 12V power supply to the lamps.
Now switch the ignition on and operate the stalk switch left & right. The turn signal lamps should switch on constantly when you operate the switch.

If the lamps don't switch on you should use a voltmeter or test light to check that there is 12V on the 'B' terminal. I suspect there wont be.

Where is the hazard switch located on your car? Is it beside the radio by any chance?
Given what you've said about the quality of work the installation shop turn out, here is what I suspect has happened. I'll bet you a cup of coffee that they have removed the center dash panel while installing the radio and when they refitted it they have left the hazard switch unplugged. If you find no power on the 'B' terminal I suggest you check the hazard switch connector next. Let me know what you find.

Thanks So much AUTOSPARK I am going to try that. I will let you know.

Sincerely
Vinnie V.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
AUTOSPARK,

Well it looks like I owe you a cup of java!
I used the wire on the relay port and like you said couldn't light the turn lamps. So I removed the bezel in the center dash I what do you know there was a plug hanging , after feeling around the back of the Hazard button I finally found an empty connector, plugged them together and wha-la! My hazards & t/signals are working now and even with the legacy flasher relay. Now I can return the new one I purchased a few days ago. I cant thank you enough!

So got any ideas for closing my sunroof ? Its been really hot here in California with no end in sight and I would sure like to use my AC in the car without all the cold air going out the sunroof.

Here is a link to listen to some of my music that I have composed & performed, my gift to you for taking the time to help me out! Vinnie V. Official Website
Sincerely,

Vinnie V.

·
Registered
14,720 Posts
AUTOSPARK,
Well it looks like I owe you a cup of java!
Cheers mate. Just click my coffee banner (y)

Thanks Vinnie, your support is greatly appreciated

Vinnie V. said:
plugged them together and wha-la! My hazards & t/signals are working
Excellent. Glad I was able to help.

Sorry, I don't know how you could close the roof if it wont move using the allen wrench.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Cheers mate. Just click my coffee banner (y)

Thanks Vinnie, your support is greatly appreciated

Excellent. Glad I was able to help.

Sorry, I don't know how you could close the roof if it wont move using the Allen wrench.
AUTOSPARK,
So I gave closing my sunroof/moon-roof another try last night , . This time I was able to find an Allen wrench that had a tight fit and by being tenacious, with the assistance of two friends were able to close the sunroof/moon-roof but couldn't seem to get the rear part of it to pop up and seal the roof . Having it at least shut will have to due for now. I will have to work on getting it into the closed & sealed position. Oh, I also disconnected all the controls for the sunroof/moon-roof, so this never happens again by accident or otherwise.

(FYI) The sunroof/moon-roof motor was VERY difficult to hand crank, while pulling on the sunroof/moon-roof. This is a two person job for sure. For my car, the direction I turned was counter-clockwise too close & clockwise to open. hope this helps someone.

Thx again for the positive experience and results you helped me achieve!

Sincerely,

Vinnie V.
https://webs.vinniev.com

1 - 8 of 8 Posts