Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2005 Santa Fe 2.7 that has ABS and Traction Control. A problem has developed and not sure where to look for a fix. At random times the ABS seems to actuate itself for no apparent reason. It happens pulling into parking spaces, turning the wheel sharp in general at low speeds. I have even had it happen at low speed while on the gas. At various times the ABS and TCS lights come on and stay on for periods of time. I have checked the brakes themselves, but I feel the problem is in the ABS/TCS system. No obvious things wrong with the speed sensors themselves. Any ideas on what this could be??? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
QUOTE (IKE607 @ Jun 17 2010, 07:43 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=333922
I have a 2005 Santa Fe 2.7 that has ABS and Traction Control. A problem has developed and not sure where to look for a fix. At random times the ABS seems to actuate itself for no apparent reason. It happens pulling into parking spaces, turning the wheel sharp in general at low speeds. I have even had it happen at low speed while on the gas. At various times the ABS and TCS lights come on and stay on for periods of time.
--> There's your sign... scan the thing for codes.. see what circuit has problem...

I have checked the brakes themselves, but I feel the problem is in the ABS/TCS system.
Brakes is not input item to HECU.. the problem is with any 1 or more of the ABS/TCS circuits

No obvious tings wrong with the speed sensors themselves.

Any ideas on what this could be???
Yes.. I want you to start by looking at the "tone rings on the front axles (they is on the outer CV joint circumference).. you will be looking for a crack, maybe the ring sitting out of place.. Very common.. not very often for sensor fail, but it happens, but I be more inclined to run with the ring(s) being cracked on front.... don't forget to scan too.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply and the ideas. Now with the tone rings, replacement requires pulling the CV joint out completely from the hub to replace them, correct?? Would these tone rings being damaged lead to the idiot lights coming on or do you think I am looking at possible additional problems??

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
QUOTE (IKE607 @ Jun 17 2010, 09:02 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=333934
Now with the tone rings, replacement requires pulling the CV joint out completely from the hub to replace them, correct??
Yes

Would these tone rings being damaged lead to the idiot lights coming on
Yes... see the ring on right... it is new.. the teeth represent the signal that the HECU is looking for from the sensor,,, smooth clean even space wave form...

The busted ring on left will have wave form, then a gap (break point) then resume.. the HECU gets confused because waveform is not smooth even pattern.. you'll get stupid ABS operation when braking, ABS light with codes for sensor signal invalid/range/performance... busted ring may or may not rotate, thus no wave patern, HECU not know what to think..

The broken ring seen above actually broke, and jammed up in the knuckle, and was stuck, while CV joint rotated on its' merry way... I broke it out to get it out of way.

or do you think I am looking at possible additional problems??
Of course you could have electric issues too, but you will need scan to see what is stored DTC wise to aid in repair process.

·
Registered
1 Posts
i have similiar problems as above at slow speeds when i press the brakes its like i have something under the brake pedal pushing it up. i then checked the tone rings as suggested and found one to be cracked . i have just ordered two new cv joints with rings, greese, clips and rubber shoes for about 60 euros, hopefully this will solve my braking problems .any comments appriciated

·
Registered
9 Posts
I am experiencing the same problem, if I have to replace these two tone and bring the car to a private mechanic, how much should I expect to be charged?

·
Registered
16 Posts
cost

it took me around two hours to do one side, then when I knew what I was doing it took me an hour to do the other side, I did the job on my driveway, I am not an experienced mechanic but can work a spanner and follow instructions!!

I would expect it would take a professional under two hours to do both sides, so base your expected costs on the local labour rate. in the UK it would be around £50 per hour plus tax etc, so I reckon around £160 in total - it isn't a complicated job and for someone who has all the correct tools and equipment it should be a simple task.

it cost me the price of the rings, so around £20 to do it myself

·
Registered
35 Posts
i had the same issue on my 2006,,changed the 2 front axles (drive shaft) with all new ring gear ,,abs issue resolved,,,but now i have a leak on the driver side front axle seal...i guess i have to pull it out and change the seal on that side....

·
Registered
35 Posts
I have a 2005 Santa Fe 2.7 that has ABS and Traction Control. A problem has developed and not sure where to look for a fix. At random times the ABS seems to actuate itself for no apparent reason. It happens pulling into parking spaces, turning the wheel sharp in general at low speeds. I have even had it happen at low speed while on the gas. At various times the ABS and TCS lights come on and stay on for periods of time. I have checked the brakes themselves, but I feel the problem is in the ABS/TCS system. No obvious things wrong with the speed sensors themselves. Any ideas on what this could be??? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
i replaced the seal and all is good now, topped the fluid and is fine, so the abs issue was the ring on the drive shaft and the leak on the driver's side seal was the old seal leaking ,,got a seal at hyundai original parts..i hope this helps anyone out there.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Just had the same problem but since I was the original owner, had 97,200 miles & 4 months left on 100,000 mile/10 years warranty, just under the wire; Hyundai replaced the one front axle with the split tone ring for free. It came under the 100,000 mile drivetrain warranty. I think the 2003 & 2004 had a recall on this problem but not the 2005's Santa Fe's. Good Luck

·
Registered
200 Posts
I have sporadic grinding and the feel of the ABS engaging about once a month. it'll do it once, when i let up and press down on the brakes it does not do it again. could these rings cause issues like that??

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just had the same problem but since I was the original owner, had 97,200 miles & 4 months left on 100,000 mile/10 years warranty, just under the wire; Hyundai replaced the one front axle with the split tone ring for free. It came under the 100,000 mile drivetrain warranty. I think the 2003 & 2004 had a recall on this problem but not the 2005's Santa Fe's. Good Luck
Hi Tom:

We are in the same position; our 2005 Hyundai Santa Fe is just under the wire for the Powertrain 10 year warranty. Just had the CV Front Axle replaced because of a bad tooth ring. Dealer told us we that is the only way to fix. Can you share how you got Hyundai to cover the repair? They are stonewalling us... Thank you..

Anthony Ceste

·
Registered
6 Posts
Anthony, the tone ring / exciter ring is part of the driveshaft assembly and the dealer agreed with me that it was and replaced it under 100,000 mile warranty. Do not let them BS you. They get reimbursed by Hyundai for this warranty work. I had no problem. My dealer told me that they do not replace tone rings by themselves but will replace the entire shaft. Good Luck

·
Registered
3,041 Posts
Anthony, the tone ring / exciter ring is part of the driveshaft assembly and the dealer agreed with me that it was and replaced it under 100,000 mile warranty. Do not let them BS you. They get reimbursed by Hyundai for this warranty work. I had no problem. My dealer told me that they do not replace tone rings by themselves but will replace the entire shaft. Good Luck
I know on some models, they sell the rings separately, so they can be repaired by just replacing the rings.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Tone Rings

I know on some models, they sell the rings separately, so they can be repaired by just replacing the rings.
You are correct, you can probably buy the rings for most vehicles . My guess is that they would have to be heated to expand them a little and then pressed on. I think they are made out of cast iron and very brittle.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts