Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2005 Santa Fe 3.5L I just picked up this car. Changed out the Air intake as it was messed up. New EGR valve, New plugs.

When you start the car the ideal is still rough, when driving it when you first take off or at low speeds it will get a burst of acceleration and surge forward.

I don't find any vacuum leaks however the car seems to run a little better if you disconnect the EGR solenoid vacuum line from the throttle body and plug it.

It also does a hard shift from 2nd into 3rd.

Run the CEL codes and it only had the EGR and Miss fire codes stored in it.

Suggested items to fix.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Rough Idle

Mine did/still does the same. Did you replace the vac lines in the EGR circuit? There are small orifice restrictor jets in those lines that limit vac flow. You can try to adjust the TPS to spec and see if that helps. I changed mine out and the new one was worse so I just put back the old one and it idles a little better. It seems the TPS likes to be set around .8 to .9 volts(800-900 mvolts)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I went and changed the EGR solenoid unit with one I got at the junk yard. There was no improvement noted. I went over the vacuum lines again and it seems one of them was going to the wrong place. Moved it and still no change. Some times when you takeoff the car is sluggish, almost like the cats might be getting plugged. Then there are times it will takeoff like a bat out of **** for no apparent reason.

·
Banned
6,990 Posts
Don't try and adjust the idle or you'll screw it up.
Probably need the TB cleaned.

·
Registered
2007 Honda CRV
4,597 Posts
Believe the rough idle is the mis-fire.
When you read the diagnostic trouble codes, did it tell you which cylinders have the mis-fire?
Would try swapping spark plugs to see if it follows plug?
Or if it is (cop) coil over plugs then move the coil and see if it follows the coil?
That will tell you if you need new plugs or coil (cop)

Does your car have a MAF sensor?
Clean it out and see if there is any improvement?
Take a look at TPS. Sometimes grit builds up on the sliding portion and gives bad readings??

Good luck

·
Banned
6,990 Posts
Believe the rough idle is the mis-fire.
When you read the diagnostic trouble codes, did it tell you which cylinders have the mis-fire?
Would try swapping spark plugs to see if it follows plug?
Or if it is (cop) coil over plugs then move the coil and see if it follows the coil?
That will tell you if you need new plugs or coil (cop)

Does your car have a MAF sensor?
Clean it out and see if there is any improvement?
I would not advise this unless you know what kind of MAF sensor is in it and explain how to properly clean it. Easy to ruin a MAF if you don't treat them correctly.

Take a look at TPS. Sometimes grit builds up on the sliding portion and gives bad readings??

Good luck
That would be the POT. They only way to 'look at it' is to use a scope or graphing meter/scan tool.

·
Registered
2007 Honda CRV
4,597 Posts
I would not advise this unless you know what kind of MAF sensor is in it and explain how to properly clean it. Easy to ruin a MAF if you don't treat them correctly.
You're up. Explain how to clean them and treat them correctly.

That would be the POT. They only way to 'look at it' is to use a scope or graphing meter/scan tool.
POT is basically a variable resistor. Can be looked at with an Ohm meter, also.
Of course, much easier to see changes and fault on an oscilloscope

·
Banned
6,990 Posts
You're up. Explain how to clean them and treat them correctly.

I'll have to find a thread on iatn and copy it. To long for here and depends on what style. VW used a plate that the air went over and pushed the plate down. There is a valve that opens and closes the fuel and has no electrical inputs/outputs. I know this is not a VW. There's a few different ones they used over the years. Hot wire is the most common but all need to be treated correctly.

POT is basically a variable resistor. Can be looked at with an Ohm meter, also.
Of course, much easier to see changes and fault on an oscilloscope

A storage scope or graphing meter is the only way to catch some of the bad ones. A meter doesn't store it's info as it sweeps and if there's just one spot where it's bad you'll likely not catch it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts