Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
I was looking for some help with this problem. It started to chug and not gain in speed (wife was driving at the time). I checked and found it was not shifting properly. I used the manual shift and was able to drive it home with out a problem. I have an older Actron CP9145 scan tool and pulled a P2125 code. In searching for some info on this code I found a TSB with updated codes on this site. Below info listed under the P2125 code:

2125​
THROTTLE PEDAL​
POSITION SENSOR “E”​
CIRCUIT​
• Accelerator position​
sensor 2 changes​
voltage less than 0.1V​
in 25msec.​
• Connection,​
Accelerator position​
sensor 1, Open/​
Short in APS 1​
circuit, PCM

Does this usually point to the accelerator position sensor or the throttle position sensor? I was looking for a print or schematic for checking these parts. Checked the internet but not sure if what I was finding is accurate for this model.
It is hard to understand why it would drive ok in the manual shift mode and not in the D mode, if one of these sensors was faulty.
I used the scan tool for data and the line (ABSLT TPS (%) was between 7.9 to about 46.9 from closed throttle to wide open throttle. I was looking for some voltage and ohm check points and any pointers to determine what needs to be replaced. Thanks in advance for any help.

·
Registered
843 Posts
Hi,
Also do not understand link to manual and D shift mode.
However, the throttle pedal has it's M41 connector which has 6 links.
There are actually 2 sensors (potentiometers) in the pedal.
So there are 2 circuits. The connector has two 5volts lines for power, 2 grounds and 2 outgoing voltages, one between 0 and 5 volts (or a bit less) according to the pedal push and the other outgoing voltage is half the value of the first, so 0 upto 2.5 volts. They correlate to eachother. I suppose it is done for safety reasons to have more control.
So it is simple to measure these voltages while pushing the pedal.
Also you used the scan tool which also displays the pedal position, however it only showed 7.9 upto 46.9%. To my oppinion I measured mine upto 100%.
You need not to run the engine for these scans, only contact will do.
So there might be something to it, although, like mentioned, I do not see any link to the shifting gear issue.
I would measure the voltages at the pedal connector to see what happens. Maybe there is a wiring problem or contact problem in the connector itself to let it see the lower % value.
Good luck,
Paul

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Paul,
Thanks for the reply and info. I did have the engine off, key in the on position, when I checked it. I also did check it while the engine was running. I am glad you mentioned your reading went up to 100%, this confirms there is a problem. I was looking for a diagram or schematic so I could check the pin outs on the connectors for the TPS and the APS. Do you know where I could get one? Thanks again.

Mark

·
Registered
843 Posts
Hi Mark,
I do have a schematic diagram I downloaded from the internet some year(s) ago.
But unfortunately it cannot be uploaded here because that pdf file is much too large.
It does state the connector M41 at the pedal:
Pin1: signal#2 going to a connector MC22 pin 7 to EMU pin 80
Pin2: ground#2 going to a connector MC22 pin 9 to EMU pin 79
Pin3: signal#1 going to a connector MC21 pin 6 to EMU pin 77
Pin4: ground#1 going to a connector MC20 pin 8 to EMU pin 76
Pin5: power#1 going to a connector MC21 pin 14 to EMU pin 78
Pin6: power#2 going to a connector MC22 pin 13 to EMU pin 81
I do not know anymore which signal# is the 0-5 and which is 0-2.5, so measure it.
The MC connectors are large white some 25? pin connectors underneath the middle console, next to the pedal.
You need to undo the long plastic side lining of the middle console (going to the seat) then.
Could be one of these large connectors is compromised by the gear shifter which is just beside it.
However, I read in another thread about TPS a bit further on this forum page (sticking throttle from dirtjumper) the 3.5 Santa could have an 8 pin connector.
I do not have that connector information.
You could try at the Hyundai USA service site (hmaservice.com) but I understand it is payable nowadays.
But I suppose if you have an 8 pin connector you also should have at least those 2 voltage signals and the grounds and power 5 volt lines.

Good luck,
Paul

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi Paul,
Thanks for the info. I found a jpg image that Carmine put up in another thread. It isn't very clear when you enlarged it but may help with the points to check along with your info. I was wondering if anyone else has had the APS cause this or is the TPS more common. Thanks for the help.

Mark

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
APS (35107-3B011) at approx $131 is a common failure item, especially during the winter time.. couple yr ago, I had something like 24 of the aluminum body for scrap after I stripped the plastic and steel off of them.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi sbr711,
Thanks for the info. Between the road salt and brine they put down for the ice and snow around here, I am not surprised. I will have to wait to check it due to the snow storm we are having now (12 inches so far and still snowing). With Paul's info and yours, I should be able to find the problem. Is there a certain procedure to follow when adjusting the new APS or TPS after installing? Thanks again for the help.

Mark

·
Registered
129 Posts
Pull the connector off of the pedal position sensor ( the one connected to the pedal via the cable ) and give it a good shot of electrical cleaner and some dielectric grease. I bet you have a good chance of having the same problem we had with our Santa Fe and that solved the problem.

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
10yr of Hyundai, and not replaced the 1st TPS on the 3.5L

Had customer who tried to translate a DTC into a TPS, he ordered part himself, shows up and says "install this part I ordered"... I knew better..

He was not a happy camper when the TPS he wanted installed did not remedy his concern.. he did not want to pay our GDS/diag..

He come back maybe a week later and sucked it up and paid for me to GDS for DTC, and read the proper Hyundai definition --> APS

Easiest way to check the APS or TPS is to use GDS in current data, select the 4 APS/TPS lines and put in Graph mode, then do throttle movement and watch the lines/voltage numbers

1 - 9 of 9 Posts