Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4,266 Posts
It's not a great pic but it looks like the axle seal. Get a sample of the fluid on your finger and see if it will mix with water. If not yes it may well be the axle seal. The eventual outcome if not fixed will be failure of the rear final drive/differential unit. Expensive.

·
Registered
3,017 Posts
Is this please better? Yes will try to mix it with water thanks for that!
Have you checked your differential oil level to see if it's low? If you don't see any dripping onto your driveway it must be a slow leak, and I would just periodically fill up the transfer case with oil. I had a leak in my front transfer case right at the driveshaft that started up fairly slow and then got to the point where I tore it apart and replaced the seal. Yours looks like a very slow leak and you could just top off the oil every couple years.

·
Registered
4,266 Posts
It's the rusty stain that throws me. Yea a very slow leak takes a long time to cause a problem and if checked during servicing may never cause a problem. Saying that I hate a car with oil leaks.

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
Drove a GM rear end that slow seep for long time,, 80-90 gear is so thick, that it just linger and film,, unless leak so bad it puke out and drip..

12yr old SM chassis, no location called in profile, as rust just make seal replace a major chore for a $8qt of gear oil that may never get low enough to cause concern.. I dont see drips

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It's my first 4wd I don't really know how to check the level is it under the car in that box? It's like two bolts one to fill up other one to drain? What differential oil should I use if it's low? It's 2005 310k km thanks a lot!!! ?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It's my first 4wd I don't really know how to check the level is it under the car in that box? It's like two bolts one to fill up other one to drain? What differential oil should I use if it's low? It's 2005 310k km thanks a lot!!! ?
And there's no dripping on driveway I check that everyday. Yeah maybe I'm just freaking out for nothing ?

Attachments

·
Registered
3,017 Posts
And there's no dripping on driveway I check that everyday. Yeah maybe I'm just freaking out for nothing ?
The top bolt is the fill bolt. take it off and see if the level of the gear oil is right at the level of the bolt. You could use an Allen wrench to stick in there to see how low it is. Just put GL5 gear oil in there till it pours out the hole. You just don't want the gear oil to get too low.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The top bolt is the fill bolt. take it off and see if the level of the gear oil is right at the level of the bolt. You could use an Allen wrench to stick in there to see how low it is. Just put GL5 gear oil in there till it pours out the hole. You just don't want the gear oil to get too low.
Thank you so much will have a look at it!!!

·
Registered
4,266 Posts
Yep axle seal. Not that hard to fix. The hex plug in the second pic is the oil level and filler plug. Oil should be level with or close to the bottom of the hole with the plug out. If oil flows out it's been overfilled. When checking the car should be level and after a time to stand to reduce air foaming which might mislead you with the level.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Just my .02. Picked up a use AWB Limited and did the full fluids service and transfer case started leaking with new fluid(known issue). Put in some AT-205 sealer to try and revamp the seals before I tore into it. Still leaked. Drained and put in some 85-140 and leak ceased and still ok after 4 months of 120 miles a day commuting. Would probably work just as fine in the rear end. I would drain that fluid as the rusty color is puzzling.

·
Registered
3,017 Posts
Just my .02. Picked up a use AWB Limited and did the full fluids service and transfer case started leaking with new fluid(known issue). Put in some AT-205 sealer to try and revamp the seals before I tore into it. Still leaked. Drained and put in some 85-140 and leak ceased and still ok after 4 months of 120 miles a day commuting. Would probably work just as fine in the rear end. I would drain that fluid as the rusty color is puzzling.
Where was the leak on your transfer case? Case seams or out the rotating shaft area?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
So i Went to Mechanic today. He checked that for me and to my suprise it was actually over filled! Nice color of the oil, but overfilled! Yeah it's just that rubber gasket like 5$piece but to change it u need to strip off the whole. Wheel like 2h job:)

Attachments

1 - 17 of 17 Posts