Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2005 Hyundai Tucson, Left Dome light on and battery is completely dead, can not unlock doors to enter the car. Tried unlocking with Key and it does not work in any doors or tailgate
How do I access the car?
Viewed videos at Youtube and at least one youtuber says I can open a side light (turn signal Light mounted in front fender of the car) as if you were going to replace a bulb. When you pull the bulb you can expose the wires that lead to the bulb and apply power from jumper cables. This should supply enough power to activate the electric door locks. This should allow me to use the remote lock clicker to open the doors. I questioned this logic because the lights are on a switch. If the switch is on the positive lead it will not provide power to the locks. Any thoughts on what would make this work.

·
Registered
Drives : Nissan NV200 Flies : Rans S6ES
16,168 Posts
I questioned this logic because the lights are on a switch.
Your right, the switch would isolate the jump leads from the car's battery.

Any thoughts on what would make this work.
You'd need to break the window and turn the lights switch on.

If I helped you fix it, why not...

Your support is greatly appreciated

·
Registered
16,168 Posts
The physical key doesn't work in any of the external locks?? That's bizarre.
Perhaps the ignition barrel has been replaced at some point in the past, so the ignition key is different from the one for the door locks.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Perhaps the ignition barrel has been replaced at some point in the past, so the ignition key is different from the one for the door locks.

And the old key tossed out I suppose. Yikes.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
2005 Hyundai Tucson, Left Dome light on and battery is completely dead, can not unlock doors to enter the car. Tried unlocking with Key and it does not work in any doors or tailgate
How do I access the car?
Viewed videos at Youtube and at least one youtuber says I can open a side light (turn signal Light mounted in front fender of the car) as if you were going to replace a bulb. When you pull the bulb you can expose the wires that lead to the bulb and apply power from jumper cables. This should supply enough power to activate the electric door locks. This should allow me to use the remote lock clicker to open the doors. I questioned this logic because the lights are on a switch. If the switch is on the positive lead it will not provide power to the locks. Any thoughts on what would make this work.
OKay guys Im glad to say I was wrong about almost everything I said in my initial Post. Since you were kind enough respond I want to tell you what happened:
1) My wife has remote start on this car and I can only guess she tried to start the car from inside where she works. When she pushed the start button, one of two things happened
  • The car tried to start BUT she may have pushed the start button a second time and it halted the attempt to start the car, leaving the heater fan running and the headlights on, thus completely draining the battery in 15 minutes
  • Or due to the extreme cold -5 degrees Fahrenheit the load of starting the car, the load of the heater fan and the load of the headlights was too much for the battery so it never started.
What ever the case the car did not start and when I arrived the battery was completely dead. I tried the key in the door but it did not work so we thought we were locked out. That evening I view Youtube and got what turned out to be more bogus information. Next day I called the dealer and he explained the locks should work with a key. So I went back out and sure enough with a little wiggling and fiddling I got the key to work and I was able to jump the battery to start it.
When I connected the positive terminal to the battery the car proceeded to started by itself. Shocked, and not expecting that to happen, I realized the car had tried to start last night but failed for one of the above reasons. So all is well and the battery and car have been fine ever since.
Thanks again to all.

·
Registered
16,168 Posts
So I went back out and sure enough with a little wiggling and fiddling I got the key to work
Yeah, that's what happens when you use a remote to unlock the car all the time. The key barrels start to seize up from lack of use.
Anyway, glad you managed to get it running and there was nothing seriously wrong. Thanks for taking the time to update the thread too (y)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts