Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2005 Hyundai 2.4l GL. The car started fine yesterday and today it was dead as a door nail. The car would not even turn over with a boost.You turn the igntion and no cranking.

·
Registered
12,193 Posts
Does the car have an auto or manual gearbox?
If it's an auto have you tried moving the shifter to 'N' to see if that gets it to crank over?

If that doesn't work a simple bypass test on the START relay on the engine bay fusebox can usually tell you which of the two starting circuits the fault is on :

Put the shifter in P/N and switch the ignition on.
Remove the START relay from the engine bay fusebox...see below
Use a short link wire to bridge the 30 & 87 terminals on the relay socket on the fusebox.
I've marked the positions of the socket terminals on the photo below.
With a bit of luck, your engine should crank over and hopefully start.
As soon as the engine starts, remove the link from the fusebox.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
AUTOSPARK you mentioned that the bypass test of the start relay should tell me which of the two starting circuits is having the problem. If the car starts does that mean that the relay is bad and that's it?

·
Registered
12,193 Posts
If the engine started when you did the bypass test then you "might" just have a faulty relay. It looks like there are two others on the fusebox going by the photo I posted so just swap the START relay with one of the others. If that cures the problem then you need a new relay. Relays don't fail very often though so chances are swapping the relays isn't going to help. But let's hope it's that simple.

Assuming the relay swap doesn't help :
there are two circuits on a relay. It has a control circuit (the relay coil) and a load circuit (the relay contacts/switch). If the engine cranks when you bridge the 87 & 30 terminals you know the load circuit is good, that's the main battery connections, grounds, the starter motor and it's solenoid, and the wiring between all those components. And if the load circuit is good that means the fault is somewhere in the relay control circuit, which is made up of the ignition switch, alarm immobiliser relay, the gearbox start inhibitor/range switch (assuming it's an auto gearbox), and the wiring between all those components. And we better not forget about the ground on the other side of the relay coil too. Something in that control circuit has failed.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts