Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First off, I would like to say I am new to this forum. Someone recommended that I check here on things before doing anything else in regards to my current situation. Here's my situation....

I'm sure everyone has experienced that when the tank is almost full (on any car), the gas handle at the gas pump constantly disengages to let you know you are just about full of gas. My situation is that even when I am on empty and I am just starting to get gas, the gas handle still disengages making it take forever to just get $10.00 worth of gas. For those that have had this problem and can give me some insight, I'd like to hear your thoughts?

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
Vent path is restricted, so nozzle thinks tank is full when displaced air backs up out the fill neck

Canister / Vent Air filter are 2 primary faults

No location seen in profile to show in box at left under your "abcolburnt",,, as areas that use a lot of heavy sand or sand/mud areas will collect behind liner at left rear wheel well, and clog the inlet of the Fuel Tank Vent Filter

<----Add your location and you 2005 Elantra to your profile so it shows in box

Reactions: flemmons

·
Registered
2007 Honda CRV
4,597 Posts
Yeah, what sbr711 said.
When gasoline goes into the gas tank, air needs to go out so the tank can fill up.
The air exits through a charcoal vapor canister to catch hydrocarbons
And then through a vent valve which is normally open
If the path for the air is clogged or blocked then this problem of filling the gas tank happens
What surprises me is that you haven't had a CEL??
But, it does happen

·
Registered
17,552 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ah, gotcha. Thanks for the heads up on this, sbr711.

nitely..... thanks, I will give that a try until my parts come in to fix this.

Much appreicated everyone! I will re-post once I have completed everything and give you guys heads up on whether my issue is resolved or not. To be continued.....

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
My parts finally arrived and I had a good day to go out and fix the car (Texas has been dealing with Tropical Storm/possible hurricane issues and the rain has been making it where I can't get outside to work on the car.). I installed the charcoal canister and the purge valve. I went to get some gas to see if my problem was resolved (crossing my fingers at this point, lol). Instead of the gas pump clicking off after 50 cents, I was able to get about $5 to $6 in before the issue started up again. I'm getting more gas in the car before the pump clicks but the problem doesn't seemed to be resolved.

What would be the next step in trouble shooting this vehicle?

·
Registered
2007 Honda CRV
4,597 Posts
You replaced the purge valve?
The purge valve that is in the engine bay, near the in-take plenum?

Why not replace the vent valve??

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
Peel liner out of left rear wheel well to expose fill pipe and vent filter........

Watch and see if pile of mud-sand caked up at filter and block vent path so it cant breath

Reactions: flemmons
1 - 10 of 10 Posts