Hyundai Forums banner

2005 Hyndai Accent 5 - No Power To Clock, Radio, Ac Button

2K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  Alfons 
#1 ·
A few weeks ago I turned on my radio and it shorted out my clock, radio/CD, and AC button basically all power to centre console. When I turned my car off and back on some power came back but not entirely. Clock was faint and AC button would flicker on and off. If I tried to turn on my radio it would short everything out again and then reset with very little power. This was taking place for a few weeks and now I have no power at all. Fuse is fine. Brought it to Hyundai dealership and they don't even know where to start. Problem with wiring maybe? Any other ideas?

Thank you!!!

#2 ·
It's a short someplace. I'd take apart the dash, disconnect everything, reconnect, and pray. Maybe the radio is bad and sucking down the voltage?

What do you mean by "Brought it to Hyundai dealership and they don't even know where to start."??? Is it under warranty? Make them fix it, demand a loaner car until they do. Or take it to another dealer maybe?

#3 ·
QUOTE (jsinton @ Jul 26 2010, 01:13 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=344893
It's a short someplace. I'd take apart the dash, disconnect everything, reconnect, and pray. Maybe the radio is bad and sucking down the voltage?

What do you mean by "Brought it to Hyundai dealership and they don't even know where to start."??? Is it under warranty? Make them fix it, demand a loaner car until they do. Or take it to another dealer maybe?

Hi jsinton,

I figure it's a short but I'm worried about disconnecting everything. When I brought it to Hyundai they said it might be a transformer but that sounds stupid to me as I would have no power at all as soon as that blew. Other than that they had no idea what to do and that made me worried that will play around with wiring and make things worse. This happened one week after my warranty was up...Murphy's Law...

#5 ·
As already mentioned, you have a short. The dealership you took it to either doesn't know much about electrical diagnosis and repair or they don't want to be bothered with your problem. My opinion is that you should either find a credible shop that knows what they're talking about or give it a shot yourself. Generally for wiring problems, you need a wiring diagram, a multi-meter, and some basic tools to disassemble things like consoles etc.

I'm surprised that you've had no fuse blow, so this leads me to the assumption that the wiring has been modified to add an accessory such as a radio and that circuit either has no fuse or was fused improperly. With a short such as you're describing, you'll probably be able to see where ever the arcing has occurred & I'd suggest that you open things up and have a close look at what you're up against.

Another possibility is that you have a very high amp fuse in the fuse box for the problematic circuit. Have a close look at what's there and see what should be there, you might at least be able to narrow things down to the circuit. The arcing could have caused problems with other circuits if the arcing was in close proximity to a lot of other wires - that's why you need to open the console and have a real close look at all the wiring harness there including all the connectors.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.