Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Although we bought my Elantra brand new at a dealership in Kentucky in 2005, it has a California emissions system. The catalytic converter now needs replacing. As we live in Kentucky, can we replace it with one of the "universal fit" options, or, being that the car was designed with a California emissions system, will only the super-expensive California versions work?

·
Retired Staff
11,818 Posts
I just moved to KY last year from TX and was surprised there was no emissions test and there is no annual inspection here. Go with the cheapest option that works. Is it completely out of warranty? The cat has a really long warranty mandated by the govt.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What kind of warranty? We have passed the standard Hyundai drive train warranty.

I just want to know if a universal will fit / work with a California emissions designed car as the engine is different.

·
Registered
3,151 Posts
the emissions warranty is actually quite a bit longer than the powertrain warranty. you should look into it.

also, to really answer this question you would need to know how the e-testing is done in your area.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
There is no emissions testing. Nevermind on the CAT though. My husband misunderstood the mechanic. The CAT is okay, but one of the O2 sensors needs replacing. We have replaced those things a few times. I hate this car.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts