Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am posting this for a friend..........

She has a 2005 Elantra and her battery went bad. She drove it for an hour and a half on the open highway after getting a jump and took it to an auto parts store upon arriving in the town she lives in.

After purchasing the battery, the parts store employee installing the battery connected the terminals backwards before figuring out that was the problem.

After reconnecting the terminals properly and getting the car back running, her headlights were dim and she had all of the classic signs of a bad alternator.

My question here is what could possibly happen to her car by having the terminals connected backwards?

Could it have fried some fuses?

What are your thoughts? Give it to me straight.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I just called and spoke with her again and she is saying that her headlights and everything electronic worked fine on her hour and a half trip and there was no change in that until after the battery was installed. That was when she saw those bad alternator symptoms.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you for the info. I truly appreciate it.

The parts store is covering the cost, but she doesn't want them to touch it, so she has her uncle working on it.

They gave her a new alternator and now it's running again and charging properly.

Now she's saying her horn doesn't work. I got her uncle to switch the horn relay with another relay and it's still not working, so something else is going on now.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
This has turned into a wild goose chase.

Now she says the horn started working, then it stopped working, but the radio and clock are not working. And the battery/charging system light came back on.

I recommended that at this point, the car needs to go to a shop.

Update: The latest is they found a blown 120a fuse. Hopefully that's the culprit.

At this point, I'll continue to document to help others out in the future.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok, so the latest is that the alternator is charging fine, no more horn or charging issues.

Now the radio and the clock are not working, but they can't find any blown fuses....so far, so at this point it's a matter of tracing down where the short/blown fuse is.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Alright, everything is fixed.

When checking the interior fuses before finding the blown 120a fuse, her uncle put in one of the fuses backwards.

That has since been corrected and everything is working except the radio, which needs to come out to have the fuse in the back of it replaced. (I assume.)

Hopefully, this thread will help others out.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts