Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2005 Accent with just over 35,000 miles on. Last night (in extreme cold here in Chicago), the car started running loud. Loud on start, idle, and acceleration - normal when maintaining speed, even at highway speed.

Since the loud sound first started, I have driven about 100 miles (had to for work, no choice). The sound is pretty much the same - definitely in the front end, and the best way I can describe it is a much louder version of the normal sounds you would hear - idle sound but louder, acceleration sound but louder, etc.

No warning lights have come on, car hasn't shown any signs of overheating on the gauges, etc. I had a somewhat similar issue with an old '99 Saturn SL2 w/ 115,000 miles - but in that instance the flex pipe had corroded and completely separated from the rest of the exhaust system.

Any thoughts as to what I could be up against here? Thanks for any help you can provide.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks so much for the quick reply! If I was to take it to an exhaust/muffler shop, what is a reasonable expectation of how much the job should cost.?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
...look under the car first. you should see the exhaust gas leaking out, especially in this weather.
Thanks. Did just that and you can definitely see it. Took the car into my local, independent muffler/exhaust shop after getting a reasonable estimate. We'll see how it goes.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts