Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My little sister's 2005 Accent GLS has developed a leak in the rack and pinion steering, and I've been 'volunteered' to replace it.

Are there any videos or good tutorials on doing this that you can suggest?

If not, anything special about replacing this unit vs most other compact cars of the era? Meaning, get the tie rod ends off, unbolt unit from the frame, disconnect the PS lines and wiggle out, then reverse to install?

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
875 Posts
My little sister's 2005 Accent GLS has developed a leak in the rack and pinion steering, and I've been 'volunteered' to replace it.

Are there any videos or good tutorials on doing this that you can suggest?

If not, anything special about replacing this unit vs most other compact cars of the era? Meaning, get the tie rod ends off, unbolt unit from the frame, disconnect the PS lines and wiggle out, then reverse to install?

Thanks!
Power Steering System removal/installation info attached.

Attachments

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you very much. Is this from a repair supplement I can purchase online?

Not to be a pain, but on step #7 ("Loosen the power steering pressure tube mounting clamp and return tube mounting clamp mounting bolt") does that mean there are two bolts involved, or a single one that holds both tubes in place?

·
Premium Member
875 Posts
Thank you very much. Is this from a repair supplement I can purchase online?

Not to be a pain, but on step #7 ("Loosen the power steering pressure tube mounting clamp and return tube mounting clamp mounting bolt") does that mean there are two bolts involved, or a single one that holds both tubes in place?
It looks like both Pressure Hose and Return Tube are secured by a single mounting clamp & bolt.

Attachments

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
A quick update-- I'm disassembling now, have most of the bolts loosened or removed altogether. Getting the outer tie rods off was a major pain, I had to use a pickle fork in the end and ruined the boots, so new tie rods are waiting.

As for sticking points, I'm scratching my head on steps #5 and #8 in the Removal document wongpfh kindly provided. In step 5 it says to disconnect the steering shaft assembly from the gear box-- well, I managed to remove the bolt at the bottom as the diagram showed. However, I can't lift the assembly all the way off the splined connector from the rack, there isn't enough headroom. Even after removing the top bolt nearest the steering wheel and lifting the whole unit, I simply don't have room to clear the spline connector. Not sure how that's going to affect removal and reinstallation, but probably isn't good.

As for step #8 I unscrewed tube closest to the front of the engine with the help of a 17mm crowfoot wrench. That took a while, little by little. However, I'm concerned there is almost no room to maneuver even a crowfoot onto the neighboring tube bolt, closest to the interior, as it's so close to the neighboring tube. If anyone has suggestions on tackling these issues I'd be very grateful to know more.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok, I'm nearly there. I got that second tube loosened up using a 17mm stubby wrench. Just managed to fit and luckily the wd-40 I had sprayed on the fastener earlier meant it wasn't stuck in place. After that things were straightforward.

Installation is nearly done, or maybe not. The main problem is re-attaching the steering shaft assembly. I thought it would a problem, and it is. I've tried everything I can think of, removed the assembly from both sides, tried to maneuver it this way and that. Nothing's worked, I can tell I'm close but can't quite get it to fit on both ends, both on the steering wheel and on the steering rack ends. Frustrating!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I thought I had this all set, but as it turns out the rack and pinion unit needs to be centered (grr.)

Here's the problem meanwhile that I had with the steering shaft assembly and removing / reinstalling it-- there's no headroom to get the ends off the splines without removing the rack and pinion unit, which I really don't want to do. Is there a better way to do this?

50 second video showing the issue:

https://1drv.ms/f/s!AqLDCNy-ilYJiC2w4Dn8wN_16noY

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Wound up having to loosen the rack and nudge it down, then I could get the shaft assembly off / on again. Looks like things are home free now, I centered the rack while installed (took 68 mini turns under the dash to go from from one side to the next, so I went back 34 turns to even out) and the tie rods appear to be evenly spaced, steering wheel is centered, now off to the alignment shop.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for keeping us informed
Sounds like I would never want to tackle the steering rack and pinion ... lol
Sure took longer than I thought!

Knowing what I know now however, *if* I had known to center the rack before attaching the shaft assembly to it under the dash, the job would have been a lot quicker.

The main problem IMO is that assembly-- it's not possible to remove it without dropping the rack a bit. Took me about 45 minutes to loosen the four main bolts and pull down the rack for just enough slack to lift the assembly out of the way.

To be honest, installation and removal of the unit isn't too bad. It involves those four large bolts, surprisingly accessible, a couple of power steering lines, also not impossible to get to, one pressure tube mounting clamp and one small hose clamp and you're on your way. So, not as easy as changing a spark plug but relatively straightforward-- I shudder to think what it would take on a BMW or Mercedes.

Disconnect the shaft assembly from the rack under the dash (but first mark its orientation with the steering wheel and wheels sitting at dead center, for reinstallation-- another gotcha that bit me) and with some tugging, twisting and cussing you can get the rack out. After that, as they say, installation is the reverse of the above steps.

Major thanks again to wongpfh for providing me with those Hyundai service instructions. Without them I don't know where I'd be right now.

·
Premium Member
875 Posts
Sure took longer than I thought!

Knowing what I know now however, *if* I had known to center the rack before attaching the shaft assembly to it under the dash, the job would have been a lot quicker.

The main problem IMO is that assembly-- it's not possible to remove it without dropping the rack a bit. Took me about 45 minutes to loosen the four main bolts and pull down the rack for just enough slack to lift the assembly out of the way.

To be honest, installation and removal of the unit isn't too bad. It involves those four large bolts, surprisingly accessible, a couple of power steering lines, also not impossible to get to, one pressure tube mounting clamp and one small hose clamp and you're on your way. So, not as easy as changing a spark plug but relatively straightforward-- I shudder to think what it would take on a BMW or Mercedes.

Disconnect the shaft assembly from the rack under the dash (but first mark its orientation with the steering wheel and wheels sitting at dead center, for reinstallation-- another gotcha that bit me) and with some tugging, twisting and cussing you can get the rack out. After that, as they say, installation is the reverse of the above steps.

Major thanks again to wongpfh for providing me with those Hyundai service instructions. Without them I don't know where I'd be right now.
Good job and thanks for sharing the info!

·
Banned
6,990 Posts
The hardest part in doing one of these can be the pto where the steering column is bolted to the rack. They can be a bugger. If you can spread the coupler a bit will help.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts