Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm confused about the serpentine belt(s) on my 2005 Santa Fe with the 3.5. Went to the dealership and asked for a "serpentine belt" the guy behind the counter hands me a #57170-39000 (5PK906) It seemed really short for any serpentine belt I've ever changed, so I looked online at some auto parts places and their websites are telling me my Santa Fe actually has 2 belts and that the one this parts guy handed me is the power steering belt which is 35.5" long and that I also needed another belt for the Alternator and A/C compressor that is 47.5" long. Am I on the right track or ?

Also, I've been reading on how to change the belt(s) and it looks like you have to take off the R front tire and the plastic inner fenderwell cover to access the tensioner pulley. Am I going to be able to just put a 3/8" socket drive on the tensioner, rotate it clockwise and slide both belts off or can someone offer tips on how to change the belts on my Santa Fe.

Thanks,

Christian

·
Registered
3,004 Posts
QUOTE (sciron @ Nov 2 2010, 08:11 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=368528
I'm confused about the serpentine belt(s) on my 2005 Santa Fe with the 3.5. Went to the dealership and asked for a "serpentine belt" the guy behind the counter hands me a #57170-39000 (5PK906) It seemed really short for any serpentine belt I've ever changed, so I looked online at some auto parts places and their websites are telling me my Santa Fe actually has 2 belts and that the one this parts guy handed me is the power steering belt which is 35.5" long and that I also needed another belt for the Alternator and A/C compressor that is 47.5" long. Am I on the right track or ?

Also, I've been reading on how to change the belt(s) and it looks like you have to take off the R front tire and the plastic inner fenderwell cover to access the tensioner pulley. Am I going to be able to just put a 3/8" socket drive on the tensioner, rotate it clockwise and slide both belts off or can someone offer tips on how to change the belts on my Santa Fe.

Thanks,

Christian
There are two belts - one to drive the power steering pump near the firewall and the other to drive the alternator and A/C compressor. Each belt has a tensioner. To change, raise front passenger side of car and put on jackstand. Remove wheel/tire and remove splash shield which will give access to the belts and tensioners. Loosen mounting bolts in the center of tensioners, then loosen the tensioner adjustment bolts which can be reached from the bottom of the tensioner. Remove belts, put new ones on and re-tighten the tensioner adjustment bolts. Then re-tighten the tensioner mount bolts to torque spec. All torque specs can be found in the freely available maintenance data available from Hyundai at www.hmaservice.com.

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
As posted already, (2) drive belts... Hyundai guy should have known that if he was any good at his job with product knowledge..

--- 57170-39000 BELT V -POWER STEERI $40.50
--- 97713-26300 BELT V $ 31.77

I got (5) each here on the shelf :whistling:

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
QUOTE (johnaauld @ Nov 3 2010, 09:20 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=368629
Then re-tighten the tensioner mount bolts to torque spec. All torque specs can be found in the freely available maintenance data available from Hyundai at www.hmaservice.com.

I've joined the hma-service website and don't seem to find any reference to torque values. When I go to the hmaservice website, I sign in and go to "SHOP" then select my engine size. Am I looking in the right place? I thought I had signed into this website a few years back and found much more detailed picture information that looked like it was pdf. files right out of a Hyundai shop manual which showed you how to perform the repair in more detail. Now, it looks like it's simply generic non-specific information online. Is there a different website or a link any of you can point me to ?

Thanks,

Christian

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
Not hard to do... loosen nut on idler pulley (alt-A/C belt) ,, turn adjustment bolt to loosen belt, swap belt, tighten adjustment and tighten the nut on the pulley.. I run them about 30 lb-ft.

For the P/s belt, loosen the lock nut, and the pivot bolt, turn the adjuster bolt, swap belt, resecure in reverse order

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello,
Had recently changed alternator belt on 2004 Santa Fe 3.5L to address a squeaking/chirping noise and found out its actually the tensioner pulley that is making the noise. Having a tough time to find that as most autopart stores give me the idler pulley which is all plastic (the tensioner pulley is the metallic one).
Can anyone point me to the right part #? or confirm if the one below is the right one?
25281-39010
Thanks.

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
Just hit your local Hyundai or Kia dealer for the pulley for the 3.5,,, they the same part for both maker.

Part fella can look it up for you.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts