Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have no power to the rear end. The drive shaft spins but the rear wheels will not move. On the rack, you can spin the rear tires but it does not seem to engage the drive shaft. There are no metal shards in the rear end oil that looks as though anything is busted, so I am thinking that the problem is inside this silver cover that is on the attached photos

I cannot find a parts diagram for the part that bolts onto the piece that is circled in green on the attached parts diagram. That would be the silver part that is shown in the attached photos.

Could somebody please identify what this part is.......what it is called, and describe what it does? If you have some sort of diagram, that would be helpful also.

Thank you,

Steve

Attachments

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
That thing is similar in funtion as a clutch pack in an auto trans... it is all steel plates and silicone jelly with a large magnet to make the couple hook up (see the electric connector plugged into the top of the nose..

The unit is disengaged normally, and 4WD module under the drive seat (on floor) duty cycles electric to make the unit "couple and apply power on into the pinion to rotate the ring gear under power.

What you is seeing on rack is normal

You wont find shards in the actual oil as it is a seperate device bolted to front of an already assembled differential assembly,, think of it a similar function as a magnetic clutch/drive plate on an A/C compressor

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
TRANSFER ASSY. Fits: 2005 Hyundai Santa Fe | Jim Ellis Hyundai Parts

Assembly drawing for reference; hopefully an electrical problem preventing it from being engaged like sbr711 is saying. Truck normally runs in front wheel drive with back end free wheeling; viscous coupling is engaged and all wheel drive kicks in when slippage detected. Just Repeating what he said.

Your "assembly drawing for reference" is linking to a AWD transfer case assembly mated to right side of final drive on the FWD transmission...

His concern is with the electric/viscous coupling bolted to front of rear differential (PNC 47800),, of which by his text indicates that there is no issue with the "free wheeling" as he describes. Transfer car is constant mesh, no electric coupling involved up front with transfer case.

·
Registered
1,978 Posts
Oops not trying to mislead anyone.

Being a Borg Warner design I thought it was like the New Process 249 AWD transfer case on my old grand Cherokee, with the viscous coupling right inside the transfer case. Didn't look closely at schematic.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts