Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Changing plugs on a 2004 XG. After removing the intake a piece of curved plastic fell out of it.I took the intake apart and for every cylinder there is a channel and butterfly. The curved plastic piece directs airflow. I assume this might have to do with cold weather starting (choke) but not sure.I cant seem to find what the part is called and cannot find it on a web search. Nearest dealer is 65miles away so its not easy to talk to the dealer.If anyone knows what I am describing where can I get one. Looked on hmaservice but couldnt see the parts.

·
Registered
146 Posts
If I am reading you right, that is the variable induction system, sometimes called variable intake. It is designed to change the length of the intake path at low/high speeds. I _THINK_ that it lengthens the air path at low speeds, and shortens it at higher speeds, but I may have that backwards. Typically, it shouldn't be noticeable from a driving point of view, but there is a code for it if it doesn't work. There is an actuator on one side, and a sensor on the other.

That's all I got.

·
Registered
220 Posts
If I told you that I have a set of those "plastic things" you talk about, would you be interested? I thought not, so nevermind. Everytime I offer parts to people they never interested so i'll just stick with the plan and dump it all. FYI I have 3 XG engines torn apart from head to toe. You will never ever evar find this at the dealer. OMG I officially made 200 posts helping people, where's my cookie!

Just for fun, here you go.

·
Registered
146 Posts
You will never ever evar find this at the dealer
That makes sense. I recall hearing/reading/assuming/whatever that none of the individual components were available, and that the intake plenum would have to be replaced as a unit. [lol]Hehe, I said 'unit'.[/lol] Moving along...

OMG I officially made 200 posts helping people, where's my cookie!
Congrats! I've sure got a long way to go to catch that. Sorry about the cookie, though. But in my defense, I was hungry, and it WAS a cookie...

·
Registered
220 Posts
This is one of those parts that were thought would never fail so no plans to make replacement parts. Kinda like the 6 butterfy's you mentioned, that to has issues. Infact the entire XG Intake mani has issues from the butterfly's to these plastic air diverters to the electric motor for the throttle plate. All parts you cannot order from anywhere until Hyundai decides to make a Techincal bulletin for either issue and allow the dealer techs to repair just those parts but since the XG is 5 years out of production well it's too late for that. So word of advice is, take it when it's being offered or scower the scrap yards yourself. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
mac1 THATS THE PART :thumbsup: I sent you a pm about cost. Been banging my head on this car with an intermit misfire on #2. Changed plugs 6months ago with cheap plugs so I am putting better plugs in and wires. The plastic part fell out when I removed the intake (for the 2nd time) and guess what. That one is for #2! Possible cause I don't know?One quick note on mechanic work. When I was reassembling (this was before the part fell out) I was missing a lock washer.Assuming it fell on the floor or stuck on the outside of the engine I could not find it.Just a lock washer just get a new one right. Wrong! I had this feeling that I better find it so I took the intake back off (this is when the piece fell off) and the washer was sitting on top of #6 valve.Just about ruined an engine with a missing washer.Morel of the story keep track of what you take off if you don't you can do major damage.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hey jacobsond,

I've been wanting to take the intake manifold off myself but i'm not sure on how to do this. Could you explain how I am able to do this as I am not sure. If possible (and I only ask if you are doing more work) supply a pic of the manifold off so I can see all the bolt holes?

Not sure if it fits this topic but I have taken note about the plastic part and your woes are giving us insight on what to look out for!

Cheers mate,

saves me fom the mechanic!

http://www.hyundai-forums.com/style_emotic...lt/liebe011.gif

·
Registered
13 Posts
A_Null,

This is exactly what I was looking for! :banana:

Thank you very much it is greatly appreciated, I will be ordering some parts in the coming weeks and will get around to doing the job. I now understand why I am chewing through water/coolant..A mechanic has replaced the gasket with a gasket maker but I reckon it hasn't held. Was told it was the head gasket but my instincts are telling me just another botch job from the mechanic.

If anyone is interested in obtaining a "close to" workshop manual for the Grandeur here is a link I found:

http://www.scribd.com/doc/26886712/Hyundai...em-Sigma-Engine

THis will allow you to diagnose and adjust things like throttle position sensor using vlot meters etc but also an almost complete run through of the engine.

Cheers all!

Aaron

·
Registered
9 Posts
QUOTE (2001GrandeurXG @ Jun 1 2010, 06:56 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=328377
<SNIP>
If anyone is interested in obtaining a "close to" workshop manual for the Grandeur here is a link I found:

http://www.scribd.com/doc/26886712/Hyundai...em-Sigma-Engine

THis will allow you to diagnose and adjust things like throttle position sensor using vlot meters etc but also an almost complete run through of the engine.

Cheers all!

Aaron
I wish it had a trouble-shooting flow-chart for DTC P0350 . . .

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
QUOTE (H104 @ Aug 18 2010, 11:04 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=350339
I wish it had a trouble-shooting flow-chart for DTC P0350 . . .
General Description

With the ignition switch in the ON or START position, voltage is applied to the ignition coil.

Each ignition coil consists of two coils. High tension leads go to each cylinder from the ignition coils.

The ignition coils fire two spark plugs on every power stroke (the cylinder under compression and the cylinder on the exhaust stroke). The Powertrain Control Module (PCM) provides a switching circuit to ground for energizing the primary ignition coils. The PCM uses the crankshaft position sensor and camshaft position sensor signal to time the energizing of the coil. When a primary ignition coil is energized and de-energized, the secondary coil produces a high voltage spike to the attached spark plugs.

DTC Description

If the surge voltage of ignition coil is lower than threshold value, the PCM determines that a fault exists and a DTC is stored.

------------------------------------------------------

Component Inspection

1. Check Spark Plug Cable

(1) Visually/physically inspect the following items:
- Damage, cracks and flashover

(2) Measure the resistance of the spark plug cable
A. Specification : 5.6 kΩ/m(3.28ft) ± 20 % at 20°C(68°F)

(3) Is the measured resistance within specifications ?

YES
▶ Go to "Check Spark Plug" as below.

NO
▶ Repair or replace as necessary and go to "Verification of Vehicle Repair" procedure.

2. Check Spark Plug

(1) Ignition "OFF"
(2) Remove Spark plug from the Engine.
(3) Measure Air Gap of each spark plug.

A. Specification : 1.0 ~1.1mm (0.039 ~ 0.043inch)

(4) Is the measured resistance within specifications ?

YES
▶ Go to "Check Ignition Coil" as below.

NO
▶ Repair or replace as necessary and then go to "Verification of Vehicle Repair" procedure.

3. Check Ignition Coil
(1) Ignition "OFF"
(2) Disconnect Ignition Coil connector.
(3) Measure the secondary coil resistance between the high-voltage terminals of the ignition coil.
A. Specification : Approx. Approx. 13.0 ± 20% (kΩ) (20°C(68°F))

(4) Is the measured resistance within specifications ?
YES
▶ Substitute with a known - good PCM and check for proper operation.

If the problem is corrected, replace PCM and go to "Verification of Vehicle Repair" procedure.

NO
▶ Substitute with a known - good Ignition Coil and check for proper operation.
If the problem is corrected, replace Ignition Coil and go to "Verification of Vehicle Repair"procedure.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I agree with the cold air intake, but I would also do a chip or a programmer. You should also upgrade your exhaust and start saving for a super charger. You will get the most out of your car with a super charger so I would suggest saving towards one.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Health Aid | Jason Natural Products

1 - 12 of 12 Posts