Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a 2004 Sonata V6 that started having a problem about 2-3 years ago. Whenever it's moist outside, such as raining hard all night or even just lots of dew in the early morning, I have trouble keeping the engine running. It's as if one or more cylinders are not firing. However, if I stay in park and keep the idle up to 2k for 5-10 minutes things usually dry out and it then runs fine. I've had the check engine light come on many times but forgot what code was listed. I had the coil replaced as one local shop thought it was cracked because the code indicated a misfire (on cyl 3 I believe). Have also replaced plugs and wires without success. I'm sure it's an electrical issue but am not sure how to isolate what may be wrong. Any ideas or suggestions would be GREATLY appreciated!

Bob

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
More info please, vehicle mileage, actual specific codes, where the parts come from ?

·
Registered
4 Posts
QUOTE (sbr711 @ May 24 2010, 12:51 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=325835
More info please, vehicle mileage, actual specific codes, where the parts come from ?
I have the same issue with my 2004 Sonata V6 started around 90K now has 114K
The codes I usually get when it really bad is
P1372 SEgment Time Incorrect
P0340 Cam Position sensor
P0301 Cyl 1 misfire
P0304 Cyl 4 misfire
P0300 Randon multiple clyl misfire
P0335 Crankshaft Pos A Circuit
I have not replace anything yet as it only happens when its damp out.

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
Here is where you need to start, more or less it is a given.. replace the Crank Positon Sensor first.

You have more than enough miles and heat/cold cycles,,, you can reach up behind started and feel where the pigtail leaves the sensor body.. with your forefinger and thumb, you will most lkely feel the plastic tube to be all broken up, and the 3 insulated wires inside wil have the jakets rotted and the wires shorting..

Do this first, because PCM needs to know where the crank position as it rotates to set everything else in correct time for fuel spray, ignition time, and lots of other little things.

Save the misfire codes and cam code for future reference, but replace CKP, clear all the codes, and start over. The cam code does not excite me just yet, nor the mis-fires just yet

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
QUOTE (sbr711 @ May 25 2010, 12:16 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=326158
Here is where you need to start, more or less it is a given.. replace the Crank Positon Sensor first.

You have more than enough miles and heat/cold cycles,,, you can reach up behind started and feel where the pigtail leaves the sensor body.. with your forefinger and thumb, you will most lkely feel the plastic tube to be all broken up, and the 3 insulated wires inside wil have the jakets rotted and the wires shorting..

Do this first, because PCM needs to know where the crank position as it rotates to set everything else in correct time for fuel spray, ignition time, and lots of other little things.

Save the misfire codes and cam code for future reference, but replace CKP, clear all the codes, and start over. The cam code does not excite me just yet, nor the mis-fires just yet
Sonata4 pretty much summed up my situation as well. Codes have been all over the place but I've seen the ones he mentioned as well. Good suggestion to start with the CKP. I'll let you know how this works out.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts