Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello
I'm looking to buy a timing belt kit but confused as there are different ones that don't come with certain things such as seals, tensioners, etc. I do want to get a kit with the water pump but what is an absolute must when it comes to the kits?
04' base 4cyl Sonata

·
Registered
882 Posts
you will need timing belt and tensioner. For timing belt I only recommend OEM. It's not like chain or serpentine belt, if there's any different from OEM under tension it may affect the timing. You can get timing kit from fourgreen on ebay

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
Last kit I bought had the timing belt, balance shaft belt, pulleys, water pump and gaskets / O-ring, tensioner, camshaft seals and crankshaft seal.
Kit came from eBay, it was all of about $35 when I bought it.
Guess they were cleaning out inventory since I don't imagine there is a big demand for those kits these days.

I have not used an OEM timing belt kit on a single car I have ever done the timing belt on.
Zero failures in the dozens that I have done.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Not to much, its all stuff that you should change. I was looking at the conti kit as well for my car, seems to be a good kit. I just decided to just have the dealer do it and use all OE parts though. I wasnt going to tackle that job. I went to an independent shop and using some real crap parts they picked out, it was only a 150 more to have dealer do it with OE parts.

·
Registered
3,432 Posts
Don't they carry Gates, for far less I would think. For $177 I would want the kit to be self installing.

·
Registered
17,552 Posts

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
Missing (2) drive belts..
I have never seen an aftermarket timing belt kit include belts for engine accessories.
The OEM one may include them but I have never, ever seen those included, no matter what make vehicle, in a timing belt kit.
I always replace the drive belts since they have to come off anyway but I have not seen a kit with them.
I also ordered the tensioner pulley for the drive belts this time around.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Please dont buy no name ebay parts most likely from some chino junk that the bearings or belt will break or got knows what other issues. Not to mention most stuff on ebay is counterfeit parts. If it does work and the water pump doesnt leak in the first 30 days you will be lucky if it lasts more then a year. These are parts you do no want to cheap out on you will be sorry in the long run.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I have never seen an aftermarket timing belt kit include belts for engine accessories.
The OEM one may include them but I have never, ever seen those included, no matter what make vehicle, in a timing belt kit.
I think the drive belts referred to are the two behind the timing cover that drive the oil pump and the balance shaft. Those legitimately belong in the timing kit. If they break, one has to do the entire timing belt job over again.

·
Registered
141 Posts
I like Beck Arnley for some parts. You said you got your kit off ebay for 35 and thought it was a close out. Thats fine. But the two kits you picked out from ebay, if your read both sellers profiles both based in china. This person will use some crap knock off china parts and have a really bad time and end up having to do the job again sooner rather than later costing them even more money. Even with beck you have to watch where you buy things from. There are so many fake parts on the market its not even funny.

For aftermarket timing kits, the conti one is prolly the best bet. Even the gates kit comes with a crap pump. Read some amazon reviews.

But point being this person is going to buy some junk part coming from china that will likely fail. The ebay page even says only 60 day warranty. Most kits have at least a year. For the extra $100 bucks if it was me. I would buy a name brand quality part from a reputable company especially because this is not an easy quick vital job.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
And for that reason I will spend the extra money. So you see nothing wrong with the rickauto one I posted fo $177? I would just need to buy 2 drive belts separately.

I like Beck Arnley for some parts. You said you got your kit off ebay for 35 and thought it was a close out. Thats fine. But the two kits you picked out from ebay, if your read both sellers profiles both based in china. This person will use some crap knock off china parts and have a really bad time and end up having to do the job again sooner rather than later costing them even more money. Even with beck you have to watch where you buy things from. There are so many fake parts on the market its not even funny.

For aftermarket timing kits, the conti one is prolly the best bet. Even the gates kit comes with a crap pump. Read some amazon reviews.

But point being this person is going to buy some junk part coming from china that will likely fail. The ebay page even says only 60 day warranty. Most kits have at least a year. For the extra $100 bucks if it was me. I would buy a name brand quality part from a reputable company especially because this is not an easy quick vital job.

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
I think the drive belts referred to are the two behind the timing cover that drive the oil pump and the balance shaft. Those legitimately belong in the timing kit. If they break, one has to do the entire timing belt job over again.
2.4L has a timing belt, a balance shaft belt

Drive belts = alternator / water pump,,, and an A/C / Power Steering belt

·
Registered
79 Posts
2.4L has a timing belt, a balance shaft belt

Drive belts = alternator / water pump,,, and an A/C / Power Steering belt
Sorry, of course you're right. I was under the impression there were two besides the timing belt behind the cover...dunno what the poster meant unless he was suggesting a 'complete' kit would contain the two accessory drive belts as well. I guess one could make that case, but it seems pedantic to do so.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Don't they carry Gates, for far less I would think. For $177 I would want the kit to be self installing.
I got the Gates kit: both belts, tensioners, water pump. It wasn't the cheapest, but not the most expensive, either. Curiously RockAuto didn't have Gates accessory drive belts. I got cam and crank seals as well...Timken. Altogether, about $175 shipped. Cost right at $300 to install.

Only time will tell whether they work out.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts