Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have just replaced the timing belt in my girl's 04 Elantra. The job was easy and finished in half a day without a problem.

The tensioner is simply a pulley or roller that is mounted by a bolt that is off centre. The pulley/roller is then rotated by a an allen key in a hexagonal hole in the centre/stationary part of the roller.

The degrees of rotation of this centre/stationary part of the roller determines how much tension is put onto the timing belt.

My question is how much tension is correct. I understand the rule of thumb to be "if it is possible to twist the belt 90 to 180 degrees, then it as at the correct tension".

Is that a safe assumption to make regarding the tension of the timing belt??

Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
4,851 Posts
QUOTE (anthony camilleri @ Jun 18 2010, 01:27 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=333984
"if it is possible to twist the belt 90 to 180 degrees, then it as at the correct tension".
Never heard that one, don't know what it means. If I understand it correctly, that would be wildly loose.

Correct manual description is:

Amount of deflection of the belt should be between 6 to 4 mm whilst applying 2kg of pressure on the long run. In other words, it should only deflect a little bit when you press with your finger.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
QUOTE (jsinton @ Jun 18 2010, 03:35 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=334012
Never heard that one, don't know what it means. If I understand it correctly, that would be wildly loose.

Correct manual description is:

Amount of deflection of the belt should be between 6 to 4 mm whilst applying 2kg of pressure on the long run. In other words, it should only deflect a little bit when you press with your finger.

Thanks Very Much mate. I didn't have the manual so that is great info that you just passed on.

All the best,
Tony

1 - 3 of 3 Posts